We are currently seeking a Project National Coordinator for the PAS PNA II in Senegal. You will work on the PAS–PNA Project (Projet d’Appui Scientifique aux processus de Plans Nationaux d’Adaptation dans les pays francophones les moins avancés d’Afrique subsaharienne) extension for 10 months (from September 2020 to April 2021).
The national project coordinator – Senegal will report to the Climate Analytics’ PAS–PNA II Project Leader based in our Lomé Office in Togo, and will be part of Climate Analytics’ West Africa Team based in Lomé and the Global Implementation Strategies Team.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Coordinate the implementation of the component 2 of the project at national level – ensure planning, implementation and monitoring of activities and quality control of deliverables;
- Lead the pre-feasibility study of the project “Strengthening the resilience towards climate change of socio-ecological systems in the Saloum Delta and Bargny”. For your attention, the GCF guidelines for preparing a pre-feasibility study under the Simplified Approval Process is accessible here;
- Mobilise local and key stakeholders and ensure a participatory and gender-sensitive approaches to the implementation of the pre-feasibility study;
- Co-Lead together with the Project Leader the relationship with national partners in Senegal, including GIZ Senegal, DEEC/DGL, ARD, WI, DPN, DEFCCS and AfDB (ongoing discussion) etc.
- Maintain oversight of the pre-feasibility study activities as well as monitoring and reporting;
- Identify technical input where needed, find relevant expertise in Senegal when needed;
- Co-organize the PAS–PNA II related meetings and missions of Climate Analytics in Senegal;
- Support the training and capacity building activities, ensure knowledge exchange and lessons learned with the Project leader and within the WA and Global team;
- Represent Climate Analytics and the project nationally;
- Maintain and develop partnerships with entities and institutions at national level.
You will ideally have the following qualifications and skills:
- A Master’s degree in economics, Geography, climate change and/or environmental studies/policies or any other relevant subject;
- Proven interest in coastal areas issues and management in Senegal;
- Proven experience in leading project pre-feasibility studies or any other project scoping assessment;
- Understanding the climate change adaptation options for Coastal Areas;
- Proven experience in coordinating projects preferably in climate change field. Project in coastal areas adaptation to climate change is considered a plus;
- Experience in working with international financing organisations and development partners. Experience with climate funds in particular the Green Climate Fund (GCF) is a plus;
- Understanding the sensitivity of the Saloum Delta and Bargny coastal ecosystems and livelihoods to climate change;
- Understanding the economics of climate change adaptation in Senegal coastal areas;
- Understanding the vulnerability of the coastal zone to variability and climate change in the Fatick region in Senegal
- Understanding the vulnerability of water resources to climate variability and change in the Fatick region in Senegal.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Native or near-native French skills. Excellent English communication skills is a plus;
- Willingness to travel nationally frequently.
- Strong analytical skills with conceptual understanding;
- Strong, proven functional skills in analytical writing, and producing reports and, research and assessments;
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills;
- High sense of leadership and managerial skills;
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills and experience in working effectively in a multi-cultural environment, including the ability to liaise effectively with senior level;
- Excellent networking with a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships;
- Planning, organizational and time management skills, including flexibility, and the ability to work under pressure to meet changing deadlines;
- Analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to formulate recommendations.
Following skills are an asset:
- Experience working in virtual teams and conducting e-meetings;
- Proven experience working on a sustainable coastal management project in Senegal is a plus;
- Experience working and engaging with government(s) and development agencies.
Application deadline: 16 August 2020
Starting date: 1 September 2020
Location: Dakar, Senegal
Terms: Consultant contract until April 2021
Special requirements: Senegal citizen or permitted to work in Senegal
Please apply with your CV, cover letter and a list of three references in PDF format by 16 August 2020 and indicate in your cover letter your availability and your salary expectations.
Applications can be submitted in French or English.
For further information send your questions via email to [email protected].
Please apply exclusively using the application form. Applications by email or by post can unfortunately not be processed.