Canada nationals: Environmental Monitoring Networks Data Scientist
This position is located in Victoria, BC. The following locations may also be considered, subject to Ministry operational requirements: Kamloops, Nanaimo, Prince George, Vancouver.
This is a temporary opportunity for approximately 2 years; this may be extended.
Board and lodging and relocation expenses do not apply for temporary opportunities.
An eligibility list may be established.
An opportunity to utilize your exceptional research expertise in the natural resource sector
The Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy is responsible for protecting and enhancing the Province's natural environment. This includes providing timely information on climate change, groundwater, water quality and quantity in lakes and rivers, air quality, and providing systems to support environmental health reporting. The Environmental and Climate Monitoring Section [EMCS] is charged with providing open, scientifically-credible, comprehensive data and information on changes to climate, air, water and groundwater conditions across the Province.
The Environmental Monitoring Network Data Scientist provides specialist advice to Ministry decision makers, and technical and professional staff on the current and required composition of Environmental and Climate Monitoring networks [Hydrometeorological, Hydrological, Groundwater and Water Quality]. Specifically, this position will provide leadership in the field of data science, partnering with technical and policy partners, and other stakeholders to design, develop, and manage data science projects with the objective of informing and achieving the policy and operational objectives of government; and to oversee, design, and conduct detailed statistical analysis, and data visualizations.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Ted.Weick@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. Information and tips about how to complete your job application, including adding or editing your résumé and applying for jobs, are available at the following link: Your Job Application. If you still experience technical difficulties applying for a competition, please send an email to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
With over 200 different occupations available in 280 communities across the province, we offer exciting opportunities for your career. Come, be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please visit What the BC Public Service offers You.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
To be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree/experience required:
- Undergraduate degree in environmental science, geomatics, statistics, mathematics, geography or computer science, or related area with 3 years of experience in environmental monitoring network operations; or,
- Graduate degree in environmental science, geomatics, statistics, mathematics, geography or computer science, or related area with 1 year of experience in environmental monitoring network operations.
- Experience designing, implementing, interpreting, and communicating complex statistical and spatial analyses.
- Experience identifying business problems and providing advice on business enhancements based on findings of data science projects.
- Experience creating and delivering presentations for the purpose of decision making preferred.
- Valid BC driver’s licence.
Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience with monitoring technologies and applications in larger operational environmental data collection networks.
- Experience creating and delivering presentations for the purpose of decision making.
- Experience conducting redundancy/gap analysis for environmental monitoring networks.
- Knowledge of, or experience with, Python and R statistical and spatial programming modules, ARC GIS or similar tools for analysis and data visualization.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile.
A Criminal Record Check [CRC] will be required.
Cover Letter: NO - Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Résumé: YES - A résumé is required as part of your application; however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire [Comprehensive]: YES - As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed in the job profile. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history, including job titles, start and end dates [month and year] of your employment, and your job related responsibilities, accountabilities and accomplishments. Ensure your questionnaire responses are complete as your résumé may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Leadership and Management, Natural Resource Sector, Policy, Research and Economics, Scientific and Technical