Postdoctoral Investigator (m/f/d) In the area of Air-Sea Interaction
Within the Institute of Coastal Research, we are investigating the air-sea interaction in vicinity of the sea surface with focus on exchange processes induced by surface winds, waves, and currents. For these investigations, the institute uses and develops a unique set of instruments operating on various platforms such as coastal and offshore towers, ships, floats and drones. With the HZG-developed coherent marine radars, particle image velocimetry, as well as video-based systems we are able to investigate the small-scale dynamical processes at the air-sea interface. One of the goals is to better understand and parameterize the energy and gas exchange processes between atmosphere and ocean.
We invite applications for a postdoctoral investigator position (m/f/d) in the department of Radar Hydrography at the Institute of Coastal Research with preferred starting date on September 1st, 2020. The position is (initially) limited to three years. The place of employment is Geesthacht, Germany.
- scientific analysis of high-resolution observations of dynamic surface processes
- parameterisation of air-sea exchange processes
- implementation and testing of parameterisations
- planning of and participation in international research campaigns
- scientific publications and presentations
- working as an integral part of a motivated multidisciplinary team in the institute and with external partners
- doctoral degree in physical oceanography, engineering, or related discipline
- excellent programming skills in Matlab, Python or similar language
- knowledge in image and signal processing
- good knowledge of wave dynamics
- excellent knowledge of processing and interpretation of observational data
- adequate academic publication record
- good communication skills in English
- high degree of creativity and flexibility
- knowledge of fluid dynamics
- knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems
- knowledge of handling big data sets
- willingness to travel and participate in research experiments
- desire to acquire solid communication skills in German
For further questions, please contact
- multinational work environment with over 1000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Geesthacht is located 35 km southeast of Hamburg in Northern Germany. Its location combines proximity to Germany’s second largest city and its cultural offerings with easy access to numerous outdoor activities in a beautiful setting. We are a family-friendly employer and operate our own kindergarten on campus.
Interested? Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2020/KO 5 including your CV, certificates of your university degrees, a list of publications, description of research experience and goals, and a list of up to three references. Please use the following registration link to upload your complete application documents: