Location:Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Position Type:Regular full-time
Project Associate, Governance Centre, WRI India
WRI is a global research organization that spans more than 50 countries, with offices in the Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. Our more than 450 experts and staff work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain our natural resources—the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being.
WRI was recently voted the #1 Environmental Think Tank in the world and is consistently recommended by staff as one of the “most desired organizations to work for.” In 2014, WRI was ranked one of the Top Workplaces by the Washington Post
You will be a subject matter expert in the areas of urban governance, and governance issues in specific sectors (energy, forests, water, climate) in India. You will facilitate program management and contribute to the development of high quality research products that are designed to inform targeted audiences.
Your primary responsibility will be to support the development of a 3-year governance strategy, designed to ensure that various WRI India programs and projects are designed to achieve both sectoral and governance-related outcomes – including reducing poverty, more inclusive decision making, tackling inequity and inequality, and overcoming gender disparities. The strategy will also seek to support and encourage governments’ adoption of transparent, responsive, participatory and accountable practices, so as to lead to more equitable and efficient decisions. Once the strategy has been discussed and adopted, you will be responsible for assisting in the implementation and management of the strategy.
You will handle a range of program responsibilities as are listed below.
Research & Knowledge: (30% of time required)
- Authoring or co-authoring knowledge products (e.g., reports, briefs, data-products).
- Reviewing project plans and proposals written by WRI India programs and providing governance-focused inputs and guidance
- Reviewing 2-4 knowledge products written by other WRI researchers yearly.
Program/Project Management (40% of time required)
- In collaboration with senior level staff, help develop strategy, manage outcomes and partnerships.
- Monitoring and managing project deliverables, setting and clarifying priorities for team members.
- Monitoring and managing project budget performance, scoping progress according to planned milestones, expenses and revenue, and internal and donor reporting.
Program Development (30% of time required)
- Identifying opportunities for governance-focused interventions for WRI India teams to make an impact and mainstream good governance elements in their respective work plans
- Identifying and developing funding partner relationships through external outreach
- Contributing to research proposals, reports, presentations and donor proposals
Additionally, in keeping with WRI’s commitment to gender equity across our programs, you will also be required to identify relevant gender issues, as determined through a gender analysis, and ensure adequate and effective attention to these issues in project and partner development, budgeting and management.
- Masters in related field
- Minimum 2-3 years of full-time work experience in relevant field, with program implementation and project management experience
- Exceptionally good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong commitment to and understanding of the environmental and socio-economic development movement and sustainability issues in India
- Strong analytical research skills
- Fluency in English and at least one vernacular language
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities
- Ability to travel when needed
- Foreign nationals applying must have valid permits for work in India
Final candidates will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
Location: Any of WRI India offices (Delhi, Mumbai or Bengaluru), India
*The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org/wri) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI’s policy research and analysis.