Date: Jul 28, 2020
Location: CO – Denver, US, 80202
Location(s): CO – Denver
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Apply knowledge and technical expertise to forecast, plan, acquire, and contract for the utilization of water used for the generation of electricity and thermal energy, and to provide for integrated management for all Xcel Energy water resources in Colorado, Texas and New Mexico. Help negotiate multi-million dollar, long-term water supply contracts and assist in managing the same. Assist in managing water resources to provide a reliable water supply for all electric generating facilities, and protect and enhance existing company water rights.
- Administer all Colorado Xcel Energy water rights, water contracts, water agreements, water purchases, and water sales. Perform detailed technical accounting of water use at Xcel Energy facilities in accordance with complex terms of court decrees to the satisfaction of state and federal regulatory agencies and other water users. Assist in developing budget recommendations for water resource expenditures of approximately $7.5 million annually to Xcel Energy’s Colorado generating stations. Provide recommendations to protect and enhance all existing water rights and recommend filing of applications for new water rights. Maximize revenues and utilization of any excess water resources during each water year.
- Plan for present and long-term future water resource needs of all Energy Supply facilities in Colorado, Texas and New Mexico. Assist in developing strategies, alternatives, policies, procedures, and guidelines for water resource management. Evaluate water management impacts on the financial position of Xcel Energy with consideration given to both stockholders and ratepayers.
- Assist in negotiating multi-million dollar, long-term water supply contracts. Evaluate multimillion-dollar water rights for purchase.
- Provide technical support for water court cases, both as applicant and as opposer. Review documents, decrees, engineering, and reports. Perform studies and investigations and negotiate with opposing parties.
- Develop and maintain good lines of communication in the area of water management by developing extensive contacts in the water community, including Denver Water, the Colorado Water Congress, the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District, the State Engineers Office including division engineers, water commissioners, and State dam safety personnel, FERC representatives, the Colorado Water Congress legislative committee, Governmental Affairs, and various other water entities and associations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Physical Science
- 2 years experience with Colorado water rights investigations and administration of water resources
- Master’s degree