Entry Level Civil / Water Resources Engineer
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking an Entry Level Civil / Water Resources Engineer to join our highly collaborative team in Chantilly, Virginia and learn to create dynamic solutions on a wide range of complex projects. This position offers potential for development in a great working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technology to help our clients solve their most challenging problems. Typical projects involve helping local, state and federal clients complete floodplain management, stormwater management and other watershed planning projects
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling of riverine systems as part of the Risk Mapping, Assessment, and Planning (Risk MAP) program for the Federal Emergency Management Agency;
- Support Field Investigations including the collection and analysis of data used to support hydrologic and hydraulic modeling;
- Execute established procedures, perform of routine calculations and process GIS data necessary to support hydrologic and hydraulic modeling efforts;
- Prepare floodplain and watershed studies in compliance with FEMA standards and specifications and assist with Quality Assurance and Quality Control for flood insurance study deliverables;
- Evaluate flood mitigation and flood control projects and their effectiveness;
- Execute GIS-based one dimensional and two dimensional flood risk modeling software application such as HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, FLO-2D, and SWMM;
- Efficiently work with ArcGIS software and extensions in support of flood risk modeling and mapping and other water resources project needs;
- Support Stormwater and Green Infrastructure design projects and evaluate the feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and regulatory agency specifications or regulations;
- Prepare project reports including engineering calculations, planning, and drafting technical engineering reports, research, and data entry; and
- Work with a team of Water Resources Engineers and GIS specialists supporting various planning and water resources, flood risk management and environmental restoration projects
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor or Masters of Science in an accredited Civil Engineering Degree
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in a team setting
- Time management skills and self - motivated to continue learning
- Experience in hydraulic engineering, FEMA studies and stormwater management
- Coursework in hydrology / hydraulics and other relevant subjects
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil 3D
- Experience with HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, HEC-GeoRAS, EPA SWMM, HydroCAD, and ArcGIS
- EIT certification
- CFM certification
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, C++, Java, and etc. a plus
- Advanced GIS experience such as Model Builder, Python, and advanced analysis tools (Spatial & 3D Analyst) a plus
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Join the Talent Community
Interested in working for Wood? Take the first step today by joining our talent community. By joining the community, your chances of matching to the right role are increased, as our recruiters search the community daily to match open positions with member profiles.
If you can’t see the perfect role advertised online, the talent community is the best way to keep up to date with job opportunities and events relevant to you.
Click here to join today!