What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
The successful candidate will handle a range of practice responsibilities. Some of the key responsibilities include:
Research & Knowledge
- Researching on image processing, GIS, big data analysis, dynamic visual dashboard development etc.
- Leading the management, design, and development of water specific AI models, maps, mapping Platforms and dashboards
- Commitment to and deep understanding of the water (hydrology and hydrodynamics, hydrometeorology, natural infrastructure, water quality and climate change) related big data analytics, machine learning, AI based modelling (and also hydrodynamic/ flow modelling) and visualization techniques
- Experience in conducting hackathon, data and visualization innovation challenges and other forms of engagement and co-development programs
- Exceptional research skills and experience in evaluating research methodologies
- Excellent written skills with the ability to express complex concepts clearly and concisely
- Adept at queries, report/ technical note/ Developer Blog writing and presenting findings
- Collecting, handling, analyzing, visualizing and documenting primary and secondary (local and global) datasets
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Creating data standards to facilitate data sharing and its reuse
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of data, maps and other forms of information with attention to details and accuracy
- Good communications skills including presentation experience.
- Willingness to engage with the team members in India and globally with a strong sense of respect for the team.
- Liaising with external partners and stakeholders (Government, Civil Society, Academia, Technical Experts and Corporate entities)
- Organizing internal and external meetings, workshops, conferences and other dissemination activities.
Qualifications and Experiences:
- Master’s Degree in Geo informatics or a related field.
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working with the Google Suite of tools (i.e. Google Earth Engine, Google Maps, Google Maps Engine)
- Programming and coding experience with Open Source software packages including Python, Java etc.
- Experience with cloud services (any experience in working with Azure Cloud Computing Services will be preferred)
- Proficiency in GIS software including ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, Quantum GIS, MapInfo or similar
- Experience in spatial analysis (e.g., use of ArcGIS Spatial Analyst tools, Model Builder, Python scripting, SQL or equivalent)
- Experience in handling publicly available GIS datasets, from international and national databases, crowd-sourcing platforms such as Open Street Maps and from remote-sensing databases.
- Strong statistical and analytical skills and knowledge on using data analysis tools like R, Excel, SPSS, SAS etc.
- Ability to organize demanding schedules and logistics
- Attention to details and ability to analyze these details under pressure.
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis and on short notice
- Fluency in English and Hindi is a must
- International work experience and good cross-cultural and interpersonal skills will be preferable
- Confidence and independence to take initiative, with the awareness and judgement to seek help when needed.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Duration: 1 year ( potentially extendable for another 1 year or Full-Time)
To Apply :
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.