International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.
Job Title: WASH Expert (Collection, Treatment, Storage & Disposal) Timor Leste
Department/Location: Home Base / Timor Leste
Reports To: Team Lead
Type: Short Term
IBTCI seeks a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Sector Expert with expertise in the collection, treatment, storage and disposal of household potable water and waste, including social and behavior change communication (SBC) to assist with the implementation of the Millennium Challenge Corporation’s (MCC) contract with IBTCI for Developing MCC-Specific Approach to SBCC in Multiple Sectors (“SBC Forward”). The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable of key behaviors affecting the adoption of and safer and more effective WASH practices in Dili, Timor Leste or similar contexts. Additional preference will be given for candidates who have experience working for the MCC.
This position may require up to 10 days LOE (Level of Effort) with intermittent needs starting in July 2020. Short-term travel to Timor Leste might be required if feasible within the scope.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Scope of Work: Using your subject matter expertise and knowledge of the local context, provide technical assistance to support the MCC SBCC Forward contract, including, but not limited to, reviewing and giving input on research activities, approaches, tools, and interpretation of results. Tasks are expected to include, but are not limited to:
- Review background documents and results of preparatory work done to date;
- Review and contribute contextual and subject matter information to the development of sampling plans and data collection instruments;
- Advise on the development of the data analysis plan, and identification of priority behaviors that must change in order for stakeholders to benefit from MCC investments with proposed solution pathways;
- Participate in conference calls with team members and stakeholders, as needed; and
- Contribute to the analysis and interpretation of the study findings, the formulation of conclusions and recommendations in the research report.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Serve in the above consultant capacity to support the IBTCI technical practice of Global Health.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with IBTCI clients.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Technical knowledge of Dili’s neighborhoods and its municipal water and drainage systems;
- Established previous or current working technical relationships with the Dili Central Water Treatment Plant or its governing agency, the Timor Leste (TL) General Directorate of Statistics, and/or other TL government agencies involved in WASH activities and research as appropriate.
- Expertise in safe water, water treatment, and waste management practices at household level;
- Expertise in marketing and/or behavioral research studies, preferably in the WASH sector;
- Capacity and availability to perform against tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in local Timor Leste languages (e.g. Tetun) desirable but not required.
- At least eight years’ experience providing technical assistance in support of safe water behavior change activities, implementing safe water marketing or behavior change programs, or implementing marketing/behavior change research related to the WASH sector in developing countries. Understanding of issues around potable water and uses in developing countries, preferably in urban contexts.
- Demonstrated past experience with urban drainage canals and behavioral and social issues related to uptake of hygienic practices of disposal of household waste.
- Demonstrated experience working on international projects;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in a WASH, public administration, public health, or other development-related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: This position may require international travel.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.