About the role
We are looking for a London-based Lawyer to join our Forests & Climate Programme. In this role, you will play an important part in delivering ClientEarth’s work to protect the world’s forests and to reduce the threat of global climate change. We are a legal and environmental charity that uses the power of the law to fight against climate change and to protect nature and the environment.
In this role, you will be addressing issues relating to forest governance, climate change, and community land rights in our focus countries across Africa and Latin America (current focus countries include Republic of Congo, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Liberia, and Brazil).
- Critically analysing laws, legislative and policy proposals, and options for legal action
- Preparing policy analysis, research notes, training material or presentations
- Supporting the delivery of in-country legal training and workshops
- Supporting the formulation and implementation of national legal actions and use of international enforcement mechanisms
- Developing and maintaining a robust knowledge of political contexts in the countries of engagement
See the job description (below) for a full list of duties for this role.
We are looking for candidates with:
- A Law degree
- A good understanding of the civil and common law legal systems
- Working knowledge of one or more of these areas: natural resources law, human rights law, environmental law, forest law, land tenure, legal reform processes, comparative legal systems
- Experience in organising events, meetings, and/or delivering trainings
- Excellent legal analysis skills
- Fluent in English, with outstanding written and oral communication skills. Proficiency in French and/or Portuguese is desirable
See the job description (below) for a full list of requirements for this role.
The position is initially for one year, with the possibility of extension, dependent on funding.
Have a question on this job? Please visit our Recruitment FAQs page.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates, as these groups are currently under-represented in our organisation.
Please note that ClientEarth will only be able to employ those who have the legal right to work in the country where this post is based.