Title: Turkana Poverty Coordinator
University: University of Nairobi
Location: Turkana, with fieldwork visits to Kitui and Nairobi
Remuneration: £800 per month
Hours: Full time
Contract type: Fixed-term (3 years)
Restrictions: Open to Kenya citizens only
Reporting to: REACH Country Director
Starting Date: 1 February 2016
The Turkana Observatory Coordinator will be based in Lodwar and will be engaged in the following activities:
Coordination and management of research (biophysical and socioeconomic) activities in the Turkana Observatory
Assembly, review and analysis of existing information and data on poverty assessments and monitoring.
Executing well-designed socio-economic and poverty baseline surveys to gain a better understanding of the poverty-climate change-water insecurity nexus.
Developing a suite of socio-economic and cultural scenarios affecting water insecurity.
Contributing to and authorship of top-quality peer reviewed manuscripts in leading journals.
Disseminating research findings by presenting results at conferences, participating in workshops or exhibiting work at other appropriate events, and providing material for the project web site and the sponsors, DFID.
· Hold a postgraduate (Masters or Doctor of Philosophy) degree in social science
· Knowledge of and experience in carrying out socio-economic and poverty baseline surveys
· Proven research skills in data collection and analysis of poverty-climate change-water insecurity nexus
· Strong coordination and project management skills
· Motivation and ability to work collaboratively in a large transdisciplinary project including multiple disciplines, cultures, languages and environments
· Strong report writing skills
· Demonstrated strong communication skills, both oral and written
· Ability to work with minimum supervision
· Ability of reporting and presenting research findings to a variety of audiences
· Experience with multidisciplinary/transdisciplinary approaches to research
Applications should include the following: (1) cover letter (2) A two page CV (3) certified copies of degree certificates (4) three referees.
Applications should be submitted and received on or before midnight (East African Time) on Wednesday 4th January 2017 and should be sent by email to: [email protected]
Applications should be addressed to:
Country Director – REACH Programme,
Institute for Climate Change and Adaptation (ICCA),
University of Nairobi
Email: [email protected]
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and interviewed on a date to be specified to them in January 2017 at the REACH (Kenya) Office, University of Nairobi.