The Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) is looking for a Regional Adaptation Coordinator based in its Regional Centre in Bangkok to support the Centre’s adaptation portfolio. She/he will have fundamental knowledge in the broad areas of adaptation to climate change impacts and will have proven experience building productive relationships with developing countries, donors, NGOs and other stakeholders in Asia-Pacific.
As a seconded expert to the Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RRC.AP) at the Asian Institute of Technology, part of the Regional Adaptation Coordinator’s time will focus on managing Climate Change Asia—Catalysing Capacity for Action, a programme at the Asian Institute of Technology ([email protected]). The other part of her/his time will be spent on providing programmatic and technical assistance to the IGES Regional Centre’s climate change portfolio under the Seventh Phase Integrative Strategic Programme of IGES (ISRP7), including supporting current and future activities of the Ministry of the Environment, Japan.
Duties and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of the Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RRC.AP) at the Asian Institute of Technology and the Director of the IGES Regional Centre, she/he will:
· Serve as the key focal point for all [email protected] activities by liaising closely with internal and external partners to meet the programme’s objectives;
· Design, prepare, implement and monitor all [email protected]’s capacity building activities, including organizing trainings and workshops, under the guidance of the Coordination Group and in consultation with internal and external partners;
· Support developing country officials with project proposals preparation and development;
· Prepare and organize Coordination Group meetings and other related consultations with internal and external stakeholders for [email protected];
· Identify opportunities for RRC.AP’s activities to be synergized with [email protected] in close consultations with RRC.AP’s Climate Change Cluster;
· Refine and improve [email protected]’s operational structure, system and functions, under the guidance of Coordination Group, to meet regional needs;
· Lead and organize outreach activities to developing countries and donors to raise awareness about the work and activities of [email protected];
· Design and conduct fund-raising activities, including identifying new donors and implementing partnership strategies to expand the presence of [email protected] and the IGES Regional Centre in Asia-Pacific; and
· Provide programmatic and technical assistance to the IGES Regional Centre’s climate change portfolio, including supporting current and future activities of the Ministry of the Environment, Japan; and
· Strengthen the IGES Regional Centre’s climate change portfolio by developing new project ideas and business opportunities and engaging with new partners and donors.
- Master’s degree in environmental studies, economics, engineering, or another relevant field;
- At least 8 years of relevant professional work and project management experience, preferably in developing countries, in related climate change sectors (e.g. water management, agriculture, urban resilience, disaster risk management, etc.);
- Previous field experience developing and implementing climate change projects is an advantage;
- Previous experience at relevant international and regional organizations is a plus;
- Excellent command of the English language (writing and speaking);
- Knowledge of the Japanese language is an advantage; and
- Excellent interpersonal, project management and organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently take up multiple tasks under pressure and meet tight deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
Term of Employment:
The term of this position is initially offered for one year with a possible extension of up to two years subject to fund availability. Considering the time required for attaining a work permit for non-Thai nationals from the Thai authorities, an employment term of one year is usually offered initially. A probationary period of three months at the beginning of the term of employment will be also considered for applicants.
Place of Work:
The IGES Regional Centre office located in downtown Bangkok (604 SG Tower, 6th Floor 161/1 Soi Mahadlek Luang 3, Rajdamri Road, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330).
The Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RRC.AP) at the Asian Institute of Technology is located in Pathumthani, Thailand (RRC.AP, 3rd Floor, Outreach Building, 58 Moo 9 Km 42, Paholyothin Highway, Asian Institute of Technology, KlongLuang, Pathumthani 12120).
Salary will conform to the IGES Regional Centre’s payment system. Relevant work experience and professional skills will be taken into account. Income tax withholding and other requirements will be complied with under Thai laws.
Annual paid leave and other holidays will conform to the practice in Thailand and in accordance with the relevant rules observed at IGES Regional Centre under Thai labour laws.
The Regional Adaptation Coordinator will report to the Director of Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RRC.AP) and the Director of IGES Bangkok Regional Centre.
About IGES and IGES Regional Centre:
Established in 1998, the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) is an independent, non-profit environmental policy think-tank, with headquarters based in Japan that goes beyond research to provide practical ways to protect the earth’s environment and to realise greater sustainability and equity in the global community. While the outlook of IGES is global, the principal geographical scope of its activities is the Asia-Pacific region. IGES activities include strategic research, outreach, networking, multi-stakeholder dialogue and capacity development.
Since 2003, IGES has been operating a project office in cooperation with the Regional Resources Centre for Asia and the Pacific (RRC.AP) of the Asian Institute for Technology (AIT), Pathumthani, Thailand. In 2011, the project office was upgraded to the IGES Regional Centre located in downtown Bangkok (Patumwan, Bangkok) to strengthen its functions and expand activities under the missions of IGES. The IGES Regional Centre is a growing operation unit that responds to the needs of the institute as well as stakeholders in the Asia-Pacific region.
About [email protected]:
In January 2016, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) launched the Climate Change Asia—Catalyzing Capacity for Action, at Asian Institute of Technology ([email protected]) to meet the capacity building needs in Asia, in line with the Paris Agreement and 2030 Development Agenda. The overall goal of the [email protected] programme is to assist countries to meet, and even surpass, the targets outlined in their INDCs by enhancing national capacities to meet diverse but specific needs—technical, institutional and policy-related.
The programme has two broad outputs: (i) to build capacities of at least 5,000 government officials, private sector managers, NGOs and other key actors in identifying and managing climate change responses, over the next five years, consistent with nationally determined contributions; and (ii) to translate these enhanced capacities into on-the-ground action, by equipping countries with the knowledge and skills required to prepare, secure financing for, and implement ‘bankable’ climate change mitigation and adaptation projects.
A cover letter and a recent CV must be sent by email to the following address. The position is available now and will remain open until filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. Reference letter(s) from supervisor(s) in past positions (latest preferred) may be requested for short-listed candidates. Additional materials may be also requested in time for the interview.
Send your application to: [email protected]