The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC works in Somalia in a coordinated bilateral cooperation with the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS). In line with the SRCS Strategy Paper for Resilience, launched in 2012, GRC initiated a number of community resilience projects, in partnership with the Host National Society. At present, GRC supports two BMZ funded resilience projects in Somaliland, one ECHO funded drought response operation and other initiatives with own funds. GRC is currently the only Red Cross / Red Crescent (RC/RC) Movement partner with permanent physical presence in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
GRC is seeking an experienced Programme Coordinator Resilience and Food Security to coordinate project activities in close cooperation with the SRCS in Somaliland in the fields of community resilience, disaster risk reduction and food security with a strong organizational development component. The position will be based in Hargeisa with frequent field visits to Boroma, Berbera, Burao and Las Annod and Erigavo if the security situation allows it.
Place of assignment: Somalia, Hargeisa, Somaliland
Duration of contract: 1 year (with the possibility of one year extension)
Starting Date: March 2017
To support the efficient and effective implementation of community resilience and climate change adaptation projects, as well as the overall organizational development and capacity building of SRCS Somaliland.
The Programme Coordinator will engage in capacity building activities for the benefit of the SRCS. In doing so, the Programme Coordinator will provide guidance and technical support for the organizational development of the SRCS in Somaliland in disaster risk reduction, food security, water and sanitation, and community based integrated programming. In addition, the position will provide guidance and necessary supervision to SRCS on project management, including planning, monitoring and accountability issues, with a strong financial management component. To achieve this aim, the Programme Coordinator will establish good working relationships with SRCS counterparts, and will work closely with the East Africa Regional Office team. Together with the SRCS, the Programme Coordinator will also play an active role in the coordination with other RC/RC Movement partners and external stakeholders in Somaliland.
The Programme Coordinator works as part of the German Red Cross Delegation in East Africa under the direction and guidance of the Regional Head of Office and the Berlin based Desk Officer.
- Manage the project portfolio in Somaliland, including planning, monitoring and supervision of GRC/ SRCS projects in close cooperation with the Regional Head of Office and Regional Finance Delegate
- Establish close working relationships with SRCS project counterparts and ensure project team cohesiveness and a constructive and trusting working atmosphere
- Oversee all stages of implementation and provide necessary technical and project management guidance to SRCS
- Propose ways to streamline implementation of existing projects to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Assess existing project staff structure and propose improvements and changes
- Establish/ improve/ uphold existing PMER systems with SRCS at all levels, in cooperation with SRCS. More particularly, establish clear and effective monitoring plans for all projects, in cooperation with SRCS
- Financial project management, including budgeting, monitoring of expenditures, budget revisions, cash forecasting, control of procurement and other financial processes
- Financial and narrative reporting to GRC Regional Office in line with GRC standards and donor requirements
- Facilitate and assist SRCS in proposal writing
- Carry out regular project site visits, together with SRCS counterparts, and prepare field trip reports with analysis and recommendations
- Implement efficient and effective visibility measures
- Provide analysis of GRC’s cooperation with SRCS and advise on possible adjustments, changes, or new opportunities for cooperation
- Identify priorities for disaster preparedness, mitigation, and disaster risk reduction through assessments of prevailing/ frequent disaster risks, vulnerabilities and capacities
- Assess and identify training needs for staff members involved in project implementation and management
- Promote the integration of disaster risk reduction and cross cutting issues such as gender, volunteer management and beneficiary accountability into all project cycles
- Promote understanding of the principles and ideals of the RC/RC Movement
- Liaise with international, government and non-government organisations in Somaliland and collaborate with them where appropriate
- Act as a direct supervisor and mentor to other GRC project staff (including expatriate) on the ground, if applicable
- Proficiency in English
- University degree in a relevant field
- Strong project management skills with a minimum of five years of experience working in relief, rehabilitation & development in an expatriate role
- Proven experience in developing and executing effective monitoring and evaluation
- Experience with the RC/RC Movement is a strong asset
- Experience in the sectors of DRR/CCA, livelihood, food security, preferably in Eastern Africa/ Somalia
- Experience and proven ability to develop proposals and manage complex grants from institutional donors, including German Government and EU/ECHO
- Diplomatic skills in coordinating and cooperating with the Host National Society, local organisations, local authorities and other stakeholders
- Proactive personality with leadership skills and experience in managing, coaching and supporting staff
- Skills in negotiation, advocacy and mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments, and proven high intercultural sensitivity
- Readiness to work in a non-family posting and travel to remote project areas
- Excellent physical and mental health with the ability to complete a thorough medical screening process
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. GRC will provide you with an accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-month period of assignment and medical check-ups before and after your mission. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission.
Somalia is a non-family posting. In addition to annual leave, you will be entitled to R&R.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until 13th January 2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2016 – 226 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage.
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz