TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: WASH Project Manager
Location: Based in Sittwe with frequent travel to Myebon, Rakhine State, Myanmar
Duration: 9 Months (with possibility of extension)
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global change organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
As WASH Project Manager, you will be responsible for WASH project implemented in Myebon Township, Rakhine State. You will provide guidance and technical input on WASH activities implemented in IDP camp and sounding areas. You will strengthen the WASH structure within the camp in consultation with camp management and volunteers. You will participate actively in the WASH cluster, and liaise closely with UNICEF and other WASH actors as needed. You will provide technical input to new proposals. You will directly manage a team of 3 national staff and build their capacity.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage quality project implementation, including allocation of resources and ensuring that appropriate controls are maintained at all levels by working with field staff.
- Ensure all activities are completed on time, within budget, and achieve their objectives.
- Ensure the proper allocation of resources and maintenance of appropriate controls at all levels with field staff.
- Monitor project implementation, communication, and reporting both internally and externally, in coordination with Head of Rakhine Programs.
- Ensure that you and your team know and follow relevant donor rules and regulations.
- Support the timely delivery of project activities, for example, monitoring against log frame and oversee delivery of the project objectives
- Ensure activities comply with appropriate national (WASH Cluster and government policy) and international standards (SPHERE) and RI local WASH strategy, and are focused on improving the environmental health conditions of the beneficiaries
- Ensure that WASH Activities are implemented as per design, standards, and schedule, agreed with RI management, donors and WASH Cluster recommendations
- Manage project cycle budgets and donor reports related to this project
- Conduct regular visits to the field office project site to coordinate with field staff and/or monitor activities with the donor.
- Manage, coordinate, and lead the WASH team, including WASH Officer, Hygiene Promoter and Liaison officer
- Manage and build the capacity of the WASH team to ensure that team members are effective and efficient; provide feedback to staff to ensure optimal performance.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for staff and partners and work as a mentor and role model.
Reporting and data management
- Ensure quality and timely reports to the donor are prepared and submitted in coordination with the Yangon office.
- Ensure compliance with RI policies and regulations.
- Provide internal project reports and regular situation reports that are timely, professionally written, and meet information requirements as needed by RI and as required by the donor.
- Represent Relief International in relevant Clusters and Sectors in Sittwe.
- Improve/strengthen coordination of Relief International’s work with the relevant ministries, sectors and other protection agencies.
- Program planning and development; Implementation of best practices
- Ensure coordination with Head of Rakhine Programs to maintain effective communications with Yangon office regarding program development, funding agreements, and staffing.
- Provide technical input on WASH in the design of new relevant projects.
- Ensure WASH project products and lessons learned are maintained within the Relief International country program.
- Collaborate with other RI Project and Program Managers in Rakhine state
- At least 2 years of experience in implementing WASH
- University degree in engineering preferred (or relevant WASH technical qualifications)
- Experience designing and supervising construction of:sanitation infrastructure (latrines, solid waste treatment systems), water delivery systems (pumps, gravity-feed), water treatment systems,
- Logistical planning and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized and systems-oriented
- Willingness to live in a challenging setting (this is an unaccompanied position)
- Demonstrated report writing and donor relations skills
- Demonstrated budget and expense management skills
- Demonstrated project cycle management skills, inclusive of workplan, timeline, deliverables, and budget tracking and course correction
- Excellent command of English
- Understanding of the political and cultural context in Myanmar preferred
- Myanmar experience preferred
We would like to share Relief International’s Values with you:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation