SNV Netherlands Development Organisation in Kenya seeks to fill the position of a Junior Consultant to support its Climate Resilient Water Project (CREWS) in 15 counties:
1. Introduction & Project Background
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
Climate Resilient Water Services (CREWS) is a three-year project designed to promote a range of water services delivery models to address sustainability challenge in the Kenyan water sector (e.g. policy, pricing mechanisms, governance, accountability and capacity). The DFID funded program intends to improve climate resilience of water services in the ASAL and peri-urban areas through the promotion of private sector participation models. The program is implemented by SNV in partnership with Kenya Markets Trust (KMT). CREWS will be implemented in collaboration with national and county government agencies, private sector businesses and civil society.
The Junior Consultant will facilitate CREWS program activities in ASAL target counties of Turkana, Marsabit, Isiolo, Baringo, Kitui and Makueni. The consultant will also support advisors where needed in the Counties of Kakamega, Bungoma, Transnzoia, Uasin Gishu, Kisumu and Homabay as advised by the Program Manager.
2. Objective of the assignment
The overall objective of this assignment will be to promote service delivery models in selected ASAL counties and addressing Non-revenue water management for peri-urban and urban utilities; this will be aimed at enhancing functionality of rural and peri-urban utilities and reduction of NRW.
2.1. Specific objectives will be:
a) Support ASAL counties in collecting, compiling and reporting project data
b) Support ASAL projects in adopting different service delivery models
c) Strengthen ASAL CGs in planning, reporting and monitoring functions for water projects;
d) Support POs and WSPs in ASALs counties to improve consumer engagement and outreach
- Familiarize with the KMT water sector strategy, CREWS proposal and Results Chain
- Contribute to developing data collection and compilation tools
- Collate data, develop charts/diagrams, analytical graphs and trend analyses with the SNV-CREWS team.
- Support SNV-CREWS team in the development of working tool kits for SDM’s
- Support the ASAL County water departments/WSPs to adopt and service delivery models. Support in the development of working tool kits for SDM’s This includes building knowledge for relevant service delivery models while incorporating community dynamics
- Support ASAL County water departments/WSPs to capture, enter and update monitoring databases developed by the County Government/CREWS/WASREB
- Support ASAL counties and water utilities in the development of consumer engagement strategies for SDMs.
- With guidance of CREWS advisors, develop water services monitoring tool and embed it at the county government and selected WSPs.
- From time to time, support the 5 PPcP projects on business linkages and commercial advice.
- Preparation of monthly activity work plans, weekly updates, back to office reports, field reports and other progress reports required by the Program Manager
- Participate in WASH activities as and when called upon by SNV CREWS team members.
- Any other duties pertinent to the Junior Consultant ship objectives
3. Key Outcomes/Results
It is expected that the junior consultant will contribute to the following outcomes.
- Increased adoption of SDM models by County Governments in ASAL areas
- Improved performance of the selected WSPs on Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s). ie data keeping, reporting and consumer outreach.
- Improved capacity of County Government water departments/WSPs on managing water points, revenue management, planning investment and reporting
- Selected ASAL projects consistently reporting to respective County Governments/WASREB
4. Contract Duration:
The duration of the Junior consultancy will be 12 months, with a 3 month probation period and a possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance.
Junior consultant will be overall report to the SNV-CREWS Programme Manager. He will be expected to develop back to office reports, monthly progress reports and a Final report after the initial six (6) months.
6. Key requirements for Potential Candidate Profile
- Minimum undergraduate degree preferably in Social Sciences. MBA/MA Economics will be added advantage.
- Work experience in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands counties with a bias to County based community projects, focus on water utility management, consumer engagement and implementation of WASH programs.
- Very good skills in collating, analyzing data and report writing
- Fluency in English, Swahili Language – Verbal and written.
- Very strong communication, comprehension, report writing and interpersonal skills.
- Local resident with good understanding of the local and ASAL county context, political economy and cultures is preferred.
7. Desired start date:
8. How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the APPLY tab on this page and submitting an application letter and a CV that contains three referees in English with the position title (Junior Consultant – Isiolo) as your subject before 16th December, 2016.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted