Student Research Assistant/HIWI (GIS analyses for catchment hydrology)
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
At the Department of Hydrogeology at UFZ we seek a motivated student assistant with experience in GIS work and interest in programming with R. Our research focuses on water and solute dynamics in catchments and at the groundwater-surface water interface as well as links between hydrology and biogeochemistry. We offer the following vacancy:
Student Research Assistant/HIWI (m/f/x)
Subject: GIS analyses for catchment hydrology
Working time: between 5 and 19 hours per week
Starting date: 01.10.2020., limited to 3 months
We want to understand what drives riverine nutrient export dynamics from catchments. Your main task is to gather GIS information and extract characteristics of catchments in different countries (e.g. USA, Sweden, UK). The characteristics include land use, topography and climate data. Catchment delineation from the digital elevation model and literature research could be further tasks.
- B.A. or M.Sc. Student in the field of hydrology, geosciences or environmental sciences or similar
- Basic knowledge and interest in working with GIS-data
- Basic knowledge and interest in a programming, preferably with R
- Interest in hydrology and water quality
- Exciting insights into the work of a leading research institute
- Excellent technical facilities
- Work in inter-disciplinary and multinational teams
- An individual and excellent support