IM is a Swedish NGO committed to empowering civil society, catalyzing profound societal change towards equality and democracy, as a feminist and anti-racist change agent. We base our work on a rights-based approach and we work with Social Inclusion, Economic Inclusion, Capacity of Civil Society, and Enabling Space for Civil Society. **
IM sees and reacts to injustice in the world. Our primary mission is to fight poverty and exclusion and contribute to lasting change for individuals in particularly vulnerable situations. We do this through social and economic inclusion and by giving the right holders the opportunity to raise their voices. We believe a strong civil presence is the key for a democratic society. All projects are implemented in close collaboration with local partner organisations.
IM has been working in the Middle East since the late 1960s in the area of intellectual disability. At present IM Middle East works with partners in Jordan, Palestine and Lebanon to achieve 4 priorities; Social Inclusion, Economic Inclusion, Ensured Civic Space, and Strong Civil society.
In Jordan, the main target groups of IM’s work are young women, persons with disabilities, and civil society organizations.
Rationale and purpose
IM is committed to contribute to the protection of a sustainable environment and to take action to combat climate change believing that environment is not a luxury but a national and human duty to humanities’ livelihood and even survival. Fostering environment mainstreaming while collaborating with partner organizations on economic and social inclusion programming is a key to the sustainable development of societies, since we highly believe that economic and social development and the environment are fundamentally interdependent, given that environmental sustainability is vital for the social well-being and economic sittings.
Focusing on the Jordanian environmental profile, while taken into account the different challenges faced by the surrounding regions that are rapidly affecting Jordan demographic, social and economic aspects. One alarming issue that Jordan is largely hit with is the shortage of water resources, IM urges proactive containment of development related concerns by raising awareness before an issue turn into a crisis on the table which impacts a wide sector of the general public. Therefore, this session aims at broadening the organizations’ horizon on the importance of mainstreaming environment within their interventions especially them not being environmental organizations, trigger organizations to take the needed environmental considerations to be embedded into their operations and strategies to drive development.
- Enhance partner organizations’ understanding on mainstreaming environment in their interventions.
- To support partner organizations in understanding the connection between the developmental programmes and environment issues/ opportunities.
- Along with partner organizations, explore future impacts of potential environmental changes in the context (local/regional).
- Partner Organizations are able to explore how their organization impacts the environment and how the environment influences their work.
- Provide assessment advice to partner organizations relating to the environmental concerns that might emerge during the session.
- Introductory reading material on any availability of domestic legislation and international conventions regarding the environment.
- Design of a template for an action plan for mainstreaming environment for non-environmental actors.
- Report on session’s findings and recommendations for next steps
Date and location:
This session will be held online for a period in between 2-3 hours in between August and September, the final date and time will be agreed on when signing the contract within the mentioned period.
Participants will be IM Partners which include but not limited to, Civil Society Organizations, Volunteers, Rights Holders, and Stakeholders.
Consultant’s Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in capacity building programs; and have in depth knowledge of the context in Jordan
- Experience in participatory and interactive training and learning techniques
- Experience in environmental issues at local regional and global level.
- A working Knowledge of human rights
- Fluency in Arabic is a must
- Excellent presentation and report writing skills
How to apply
Interested candidates must submit the following to no later 8 Aug 2020.
- Cover Letter
- Proposal including methodology
- Financial Proposal
Applications lacking one or more of the requested documents will not be screened.