E.U./U.K. nationals: PhD Studentship in Engineering (Sub-surface impacts of green infrastructure in cities)
Value of award
Full UK/EU fees (eligibility criteria applies to EU students) and annual living allowance of £15,285.
Number of awards
Start date and duration
October 2020 for 4 years.
Application closing date
17:00 on 14 August 2020.
Urban populations are expected to increase to nearly 70% of the global population by 2050. As natural regions are enveloped by urban development, land cover changes alter hydrologic responses of watersheds that drain these regions. Management strategies have sought to apply infiltration-based green infrastructure (GI) to mimic natural hydraulic regimes, often without a full understanding of subsurface hydrologic processes.
This project would connect newly installed observation networks to existing urban hydrology data networks and models with a focus on the role of subsurface processes attributed to GI. Outcomes from this project will improve understanding of the role of GI in urban hydrologic processes.
Name of supervisor(s)
The award is available to UK/EU applicants only. Depending on how you meet the EPSRC’s eligibility criteria, you may be entitled to a full or a partial award.
Applicants should hold a Masters degree in engineering, science, or applied mathematics, with a strong academic interest and background in hydrology and hydrogeology.
How to apply
You must apply through the University’s online postgraduate application system.
All relevant fields should be completed, but fields marked with a red asterisk must be completed.
The following information will help us to process your application. You will need to:
- insert the programme code 8209F in the programme of study section
- select ‘PhD Water Infrastructure & Resilience (WIRe)’ as the programme of study
- insert the studentship code ENG074 in the studentship/partnership reference field
- attach a covering letter and CV. The covering letter must state the title of the studentship, quote reference code ENG074 and state how your interests and experience relate to the project
- attach degree transcripts and certificates and, if English is not your first language, a copy of your English language qualifications.
You should also send your covering letter and CV to email@example.com.
For academic project enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Administration enquiries: email@example.com