International Engineering Expert
*Please submit your CV in English.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The International Engineering Expert will be responsible for providing technical oversight on all major infrastructural work and supervisory support for the implementation of Infrastructural Components of the KfW funded ‘’Livelihoods and Agricultural Infrastructure Development project” in Nyala, Kass, Kubum, Rahed Elbirdi, and Ed Elfursan Localities of South Darfur, Sudan. The technical oversight include supervision and guidance on activities relating to constructions of:
- Micro-dams and irrigation structures,
- Small scale processing centres for milk and honey,
- Feeder roads and Wadi crossing, and
- Veterinary clinics.
The International Engineering Expert will work under the supervision of the Chief of Party and in collaboration with other staff of the project (Livelihoods and Value Chain Expert, Infrastructure supervisor, Field Officers, and Site Supervisors), staff of line ministries (MoA, Ministry of Animal Resources, and Department of Water and Environmental Sanitation), local partner NGOs, community leaders, and project beneficiaries.
The International Infrastructure Expert shall ensure and maintain high quality implementation of the infrastructure and all engineering activities. S/he line manages and provides technical support to engineering and construction activities.
- Responsible for the technical designs for infrastructure and all engineering works and collaborates with relevant line ministry official to obtain approval for the technical designs.
- Take lead and support feasibility studies on infrastructure works, ensuring appropriateness of technical specifications for works and terms of references for consultants engage to undertake feasibility studies.
- In collaboration with the chief of party, provide guidance in tender evaluation for construction works.
- In collaboration with the Infrastructure Supervisor, conducts monitoring visits regularly in the field to ensure smooth project activities progress and performance of the field supervisors.
- Ensures implementation and compliance with recommendation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIA), geophysical surveys, Topographic surveys, designing and supervising roads and micro dam construction and various other structures of the activities of the project.
- Support the preparation of the bills of Quantities(BoQs) for major construction works to be undertaken by the project and take lead in the evaluation of work completed work and endorsement before payment is advanced to the contractor.
- In consultation with the Chief of Party (CoP) and Project Coordinator Plan daily, weekly and monthly project objectives and targets.
- Support the development and implementation of activities work plans for the infrastructure unit.
- Responsible for drafting of ToRs for the project consultants and Contractors all major technical works.
- Assist the CoP in monitoring and certification of works of Consultants and Contractors as per the agreed ToRs/contract agreements.
- Plan, organize and support preparation of infrastructure work schedules and supervise the construction works at the various project sites.
- Prepare in timely manner and submit to the Chief of Party all field monthly reports relating to infrastructure on monthly basis.
- In collaboration with the Infrastructure supervisor, attend World Vision Water sector meetings regularly and provide updates of work progress, how challenges are being handled and any lessons learnt.
- Compile progress reports including the cost controlling, scheduling, risks and management aspects.
- Regularly evaluate work in progress to ensure adherence to technical specification, standards and environmental and safety requirements.
- In consultation with the communities and the site supervisors, verify and validate the milestones of achievements and the eventual completion of the various infrastructures under KfW project and further issue completion respective certificates to the contractor for payment purposes.
Team Leadership and Internal Coordination:
- Supervise and manages technical field activities of KfW Program in line with infrastructure design of each technical component and industry best practice and standards.
- Lead the engineering team in quality management by conducting random spot checks and verifying construction materials to ensure adherence to material specification on project sites.
- Conduct performance evaluation for the engineering team in line with World Vision policies against clear, measurable key performance measures and ensuring that individuals’ performance is managed in collaboration with the Director of
- People & Culture.
- Provide capacity building to the infrastructure team, providing coaching, mentoring and onsite training on maintenance, safety issues and environmental requirements.
- Collaborate with the World Vision WASH advisor on technical matters relating to WASH infrastructure in terms of designs, feasibility and quality as well as sector technical requirements.
- Provide technical oversight in compilation of Bill of Quantities for all engineering works and reviews of tender documents.
- Support the budgeting and re-budgeting processes as necessary, providing technical data for budgeting.
- Ensuring value for money (VFM) in execution of all infrastructure works and collaborating with the Chief of Party appropriately.
- Take lead in certification of works completed and initiates payment for contractors based on work certifications and contract deliverables.
Representation and External Collaboration:
- Represents the project in technical working groups with other implementing agencies as assigned.
- Liaison and collaboration with line ministry officials at the state level in Nyala on technical matters on the project.
Other Roles and Responsibilities:
- As assigned by the Chief of Party or his designate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- In-depth knowledge of Water infrastructures such as micro-dams, ‘hafirs’, irrigations, agro-processing plants, buildings, roads and bridges; and general engineering expertise.
- Proven knowledge and experience in constructions projects, excellent knowledge of project cost control activities, use and knowledge of auto cards in the construction industry, ability to supervise contractors, consultants and control contracts couple with excellent reporting skills is required.
- Demonstration of professional competency, mastery of subject matter, conscientious and efficiency in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results, is motivated by professional acumen.
- Must have ability to show persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges and remains calm in stressful situations, takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Conduct all ethical and professional behaviors in refusing fraudulent and corrupt practices including but not limited to refusing gifts, favors and preferences by any stakeholder.
- A Graduate degree from a recognized university in Civil engineering, Water Engineering or related fields.
- Professional certification and membership of recognized engineering body preferred. Professional training in project management, project controls and construction contracts is a definite asset.
- A Graduate degree in engineering from recognized University.
- Professional certification from a recognized engineering body.
- Professional training in project planning and management.
- At least 10 years of post-qualification experience in engineering work in an international development work environment, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa, with major accomplishment in construction of water infrastructures such dams, roads and bridges, irrigation structures and buildings.
- Experience and demonstrated expertise in managing people and evaluating subordinates.
- Certified Engineer, with experience in project management.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English and Arabic; knowledge of German is advantageous.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Msc. Civil engineering, Water Engineering, or Building Construction.
- Experience working in hostile or post conflict environment.
- The position will be based in Nyala, South Darfur.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically up to 70% of the time.