HR Directions seeks a prospect for its client RTI International for the Earth Data Observation Internship with the Innovation Advisors team.
RTI’s Innovation Advisors (IA) perform analyses and research to provide intelligence for a variety of client needs, from informing new product or market development efforts to identifying new manufacturing capabilities or practices. The IA team also provides research and analysis to identify commercialization opportunities for technologies that are developed by government laboratories and corporations.
The Earth Data Observation Intern will work alongside and receive mentorship by the Innovation Advisors and staff to conduct tasks related to market research and commercialization of new technologies that are often outside the scope of a prospect’s current study or experience. The intern will specifically work on projects related to earth data observation. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting research using secondary resources (published company information, SEC filings, scholarly journals, trade literature, and news articles), as well as primary resources (phone interviews) when needed.
- Providing insightful analysis of opportunities identified during primary and secondary research in written and oral formats.
- Understanding business and legal issues related to commercialization of new technologies.
- Applying general technical acumen and scientific skills to evaluate a variety of technologies and providing actionable recommendations.
- Employing commercialization and innovation-related frameworks, such as the business model canvas and value proposition testing, to new technologies
RTI’s Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore various career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will be exposed to RTI’s open and educational culture; support RTI’s mission to improve the human condition; and build upon their career goals.
This paid, virtual internship, would take place from July/August 2020 through late August 2020, with the potential to continue into the next academic year. The internship requires a minimum commitment of 15 hours per week, not to exceed 40 hours per week. Hours are flexible during business hours, Monday through Friday.
- Currently enrolled graduate student in a Master’s or PhD program in an area related to earth observation that might include data science, marine, earth, and atmospheric sciences, meteorology, precision agriculture, and/or other physical science and engineering disciplines.
- Demonstrated comfort and willingness to regularly work outside the scope of the prospect’s technical field of study, including communication with technical experts.
- Exceptional written and oral communication, time management, and analytical skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Experience with satellite data or use of data for agriculture, water management, energy, solar, and weather applications is preferred.
- Motivated, hardworking student with a passion for technology commercialization and consulting.