Groundwork San Diego strives to bring about the sustained regeneration, improvement and management of the physical environment of the Chollas Creek watershed through community- based partnerships empowering people, businesses and organizations to advance environmental, economic and social well-being. We are currently seeking to add an Environmental Project
Manager to our small, highly motivated team.
This new Environmental Project Manager position will support environmental capital improvement projects and services in the under-served communities of the Chollas Creek
Watershed (Barrio Logan, City Heights, Southeastern San Diego, Southcrest), with a focus on stormwater management. This team member will help Groundwork build the capacity of historically underinvested communities to participate in local planning around a fair distribution of climate mitigation measures proven to reduce the impact of extreme heat and reduce the risk of urban flooding. Groundwork’s goal is to develop an equitable climate mitigation framework embracing the challenge of reducing the neighborhood-scale impacts of climate change.
The Environmental Project Manager should bring a strong and demonstrated interest in environmental justice, and be well-organized, analytical, and able to lead multiple concurrent work efforts. The position will oversee delivery of consulting services that support Groundwork- led creek infrastructure projects, and will interface with City stormwater and other public agencies to understand, prioritize, and generate support for watershed stormwater infrastructure and creek improvements; schedule/manage workflow; complete project and grant reports; identify new sources of funding. Coordination with Groundwork education, community outreach, and grant writing staff will be critical.
Responsibilities will include:
- Complete an analysis of City of San Diego Stormwater maintenance/capital improvement priorities within the Chollas Creek watershed
- Working with Groundwork Outreach staff, develop an intake process to understand community member priorities for neighborhood-scale stormwater maintenance and capital improvement projects
- Develop/lead process for integrating neighborhood creek and storm water priorities with
City of San Diego priorities, and create a strategy for supporting the projects with grant funding
- Support technical proposals/grants to fund stormwater improvements
- Provide technical review and feedback for project documents created by consultant team
- Mentor interns and junior staff
- Lead and/or participate in grant proposal preparation and scoping, such as sourcing and seeking quotes from subcontractors/suppliers
- Complete project reporting, including data analysis, writing
- Advise education Director on stormwater/water management school-to-career strategies for middle and high school students, including recruitment of industry mentors
- B.S/B.A. in environmental studies, water management, biology, or related science with 5 years environmental work experience
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice through work, service, professional affiliations.
- Ability to process, organize, and evaluate large volumes of information
- Ability to exercise professional discretion and judgement and work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including detailed report writing
- Ability to lead and manage project teams in a fast-paced environment
- Interest in mentoring interns with a focus on women and underrepresented groups
Annual salary $45,000 for .75 FTE position. Application period: until position filled.
Groundwork’s strives to build a culturally diverse organization, and strongly encourages applications from women and professionals of color.
Contact Leslie Reynolds, Executive Director, with interest and/or questions at
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $45,000.00 - $55,000.00 per year
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Most work is being done remotely, with th exception of infrequent visits to outdoor project sites.
- project management: 3 years (Preferred)
- One location
Hours per week:
Company's Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19