Orange County Coastkeeper is seeking a staff attorney to join its team. The attorney selected for this position will focus on litigation and advocacy in our efforts to protect, enhance and restore water resources in Orange County, the Inland Empire, and Coachella Valley. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Senior Staff Attorney.
· Combination environmental policy and litigation work.
· Draft comment letters on permits, policies, and regulations related to water quality and water supply issues.
· Represent Orange County Coastkeeper and associated programs at administrative agency hearings.
· Assist in litigation from investigation through trial, including drafting pleadings, discovery, motion practice, etc.
· Research and write grants to fund environmental advocacy.
· Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
· General counsel duties for Orange County Coastkeeper and associated programs including Inland Empire Waterkeeper and Coachella Valley Waterkeeper, including review of contracts.
· Applicants must admitted to the California bar.
· Working knowledge of California regulatory agencies.
· Confident in oral advocacy skills a must.
· Grant-writing experience.
· Minimum 1 year litigation experience with additional 2-3 years of policy/advocacy experience preferred.
· Experience with MS4 permits and other NPDES permits preferred.
· Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
· A commitment to public interest work and a passion for Orange County Coastkeeper’s mission.
· Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
· Knowledge of the Clean Water Act is preferred.
· Knowledge of RCRA, SDWA, and tribal natural resources law a bonus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Orange County Coastkeeper is an equal opportunity employer, highly values diversity, and provides advancement opportunities to everyone. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications and ability. Compensation commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please send your résumé and a cover letter. If your materials indicate a potential match for our requirements, we will contact you. Please, no phone calls or emails to the office regarding this opening. Position open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $70,000.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Monday to Friday
To keep employees safe, we are complying with the Governor's orders and our office is temporarily closed. When the Governor allows non-critical offices to reopen, we will be opened with temperature checks, regular cleaning, and individual office space.
- Legal: 1 year (Preferred)
- Active member of the California State Bar (Preferred)
- One location
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19