We are seeking a passionate and motivated Indigenous knowledge broker to further build inclusion and partnership in National Environmental Science Program (NESP) and work with Indigenous people to identify Indigenous environmental research needs and build Indigenous research capacity.
Who we are
The Science Partnership section manages the National Environmental Science Program (NESP) and actively works to connect decision makers with researchers to maximise the impact of environmental science. The section also has an emerging role in working with other in-house science centres to develop science strategy, governance and networks across the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment.
The Department hosts a variety of support networks including the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employees Network. The focus of these networks is to bring people together to support each other, share experiences, and discuss matters of interest helping to set the direction for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander related projects and cultural influence within the Department. We also offer learning and development opportunities that support your career growth.
• Under limited direction, build your network with Indigenous communities around Australia to understand their environmental research needs
• Work with National Environmental Research Program (NESP) research hubs to help deliver the environmental research needs of Indigenous people and build Indigenous research capacity
• Work as part of a team to ensure that Indigenous participation is embedded in the NESP.
Knowledge and experience
– experience working with a broad range of Traditional Owners and Indigenous communities
– experience and ability in communicating to an Indigenous audience
– experience facilitating meetings and workshops in a culturally appropriate way
– understanding of traditional knowledge and cultural values in environmental management
– a passion for environmental and climate research
Eligibility and other requirements
Affirmative Measure – Indigenous – This employment opportunity is only open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders under the ‘Affirmative Measures’ provisions. The Affirmative measure—Indigenous employment provision is set out in section 26 of the Australian Public Service Commissioner’s Directions 2016 and is within the meaning of special measures under subsection 8(1) of the ‘Racial Discrimination Act 1975’
Identified position – This position is an ‘Identified’ position which signifies that the role has a strong involvement in issues relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. The successful applicant must have an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and an ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People.
For additional information, please read the Job Description below.