WASH Project Officer
WASH Project Officer
With funding from UNICEF you’ll join our team in implementing a project on Scaling Up Climate Resilient Solutions through Professionalisation in management of Rural Water Schemes and sustainable WASH interventions in Schools in Nsanje, Chikwawa and Machinga districts.
Water for People is an international non-governmental organization which envisions a world where every person has access to reliable and safe water and sanitation services. The country program aims to achieve sustainable high-quality water and sanitation services through the development of approaches that can be taken to scale without the need for external grant funding.
Water For People Malawi is looking for a highly qualified person to fill the position of a Project Officer. The Project Officer will be leading in the execution of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programme of activities on the ground which will be implemented in Machinga, Chikwawa and Nsanje. S/he will be reporting to a Programme Officer and will be expected to work collaboratively with other Country Program staff.
Brief Job Description
Job Title: Project Officer
Organisation: Water For People—Malawi
Supervisor: Program Officer
Duty Station: To be determined (could be based either in Machinga, Blantyre or Nsanje)
Start Date: 1st July 2020
Scope of work
As a project officer, s/he will be responsible for the following;
- On behalf of Water For People, liaise with District Coordinating Team in tracking progress towards achievement of project objective as outline in the program document
- Lead in the dissemination of information related to sanitation and hygiene and development of IEC materials to assist in the promotion of sanitation and hygiene.
- Lead teams in conducting baseline surveys particularly in determining the baseline for hygiene, sanitation, and diseases occurrences in the target areas.
- Lead teams in the promotional activities for latrine construction, pit emptying, hygiene practices, and solid waste management.
- Lead teams in conducting Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) surveys in all targeted areas.
- Participate in the development of strategic plans for scaling of access to safe water and sanitation services in the targeted areas.
- Work closely with local implementing partners (NGOs, private sector, and CBOs) in the targeted areas to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness in the implementation of programme activities.
- Participate and contribute in the development of Joint Action Plans and Reviews of interventions in the target areas with other district stakeholders
- Review the hygiene and sanitation interventions and share with relevant stakeholders promotion manuals and train relevant stakeholders in its use.
- Promote use of small-scale sanitation services training manuals which enhance good health and hygiene practices
- Take lead in the development of Monitoring and Evaluation plan for sanitation and hygiene component of the program in project area.
- Reporting on project implementation progress and communicating with key stakeholders
Qualification and experience
Education or Formal Training
A minimum of bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject is preferred. Over 2 - 3 years of experience in water and sanitation projects working in partnership with NGOs and private sector is necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability
- Demonstrated success in project implementation.
- A good understanding of the requirements in the implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of international grant funds; its effectiveness and accountability
- Must be flexible, able to work under tight deadlines and have excellent follow through skills. Be a self-starter and work with limited supervision.
- Excellent verbal/written communications and presentation skills and good analytical skills
- Experience and Knowledge of Development work related issues in Malawi.
- Competent in use of MS Word, Excel and a statistical analysis program (preference for SPSS or Access)
Contacts and Application
To apply please email: email@example.com
For our COVID 19 response please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more about Water For People Malawi, please visit waterforpeople.org/malawi