Natural Resource Management & Governance Team Leader
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock matches innovative approaches in agriculture, natural resources management, clean energy, and leadership development with the unique needs of its partners.
Winrock is seeking a Natural Resource Management and Governance Team Leader who will be responsible for implementing activities related to improving and addressing constraints related to natural resource management (NRM), forestry, civic participation, and governance. He/she will lead community engagement to improve stakeholder participation in land use planning and provincial government budgeting. He/she will build community capacity to sustainably manage forests and alternative livelihood development. A Pacific Islander is preferred for this position. This position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding
• Develop and implement project’s strategy for forestry, natural resource management, and governance. Oversee related technical activities and deliverables.
• Develop and modify as necessary the technical work plans for the NRM and governance components.
• Engage local partners and stakeholders; coordinate activities with other agencies and relevant donor-funded projects; and closely collaborate with key staff to implement activities and achieve results.
• Work closely with Winrock’s project management staff in the US to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor's degree plus additional certificates or master’s degree in environmental or physical sciences, engineering, international development, political science, social studies or other relevant field.
• At least 7 years of experience in implementing NRM, forestry, conservation, community governance or related projects.
• At least 2 years of experience in a post-conflict/post-disaster context. Experience in remote, multi-site environments, in developing countries is preferred.
• Experience in management roles on complex contracts for USAID is strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated competence in negotiation and communication
• Demonstrated experience in payment for ecosystem services and public private partnerships for NRM.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
• Demonstrated skills in coordination, consultation, and participatory methods.
• Demonstrated understanding of the national context and legal system.
• Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions for the project.
• Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft).
• Able to travel 50% of the time country-wide in difficult conditions.