Based: Monrovia, Liberia
Contract: Full-time with a one year rolling contract
Salary range: £35,000 – 45,000 pro-rata (dependent upon experience)
The Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Programme Manager to implement and develop our oceans programme in Liberia.
Based in Monrovia, Liberia, you will have responsibility for implementing a new project to reduce illegal fishing and improve the sustainability of fisheries by expanding and strengthening community co-management associations, creating effective capacity for community monitoring and reporting of illegal fishing in Liberia.
This 4-year project is supported with funding from the EU. The work will involve a local team and community mobilisers engaged in promoting fisheries management, engaging local partners and government agencies, and developing outreach through appropriate means, including local and national media.
The role will require a range of skills and abilities including, but not limited to, effective project management, financial management, grass roots capacity building and training, media liaison and advocacy as well as research and event management.
As a successful candidate, you will;
- Have a relevant degree and a proven track record (at least 3 years’ experience of project management and work in Africa) of leading and delivering high quality development and/or conservation projects and implementing advocacy programmes that show measurable impact.
- Understand and have experience of institutional donors, grant reporting and budgets.
- Be a strong and dynamic leader able to mentor and motivate to get the best from EJF’s local team and project partners, whilst being flexible to changing needs and opportunities. You are able to work effectively under pressure and in remote situations and to ensure that your team is equipped and well-managed to deliver strong results.
- Have superb oral and written communication skills, able to deliver winning presentations to diverse high-level audiences, media and to local partners and coastal communities to engage their support.
- Have a comprehensive grasp and proven track record of budgeting and budgets alongside the need for efficient use of resources; creating results-driven actions, through effective monitoring and evaluation of impact.
- Be a proven researcher, able to collate information to best effect and, liaising with EJF’s international team, be able to produce high-impact reports, briefings and films, as well as digital content.
- Be resourceful, able to bring skills in capacity building, training and relationship management to ensure the long-term impact and durability of the programme.
- Be a superb negotiator, able to be diplomatic and tactful even under pressure. You have good cross-cultural awareness and a genuine interest in working with communities to improve their lives and protect their environment.
- Share a genuine commitment to EJF, its Mission and goals of protecting people, wildlife and our shared planet.
- Monthly subsistence/accommodation allowance (up to US$500/month)
- 20 days’ annual leave per annum (plus all Liberian public holidays), increasing by 2 days for each year of service.
- 1 economy return flight to and from Monrovia annually
- Comprehensive medical and personal belongings insurance
Please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right person for this role to: [email protected] Please also note where you saw this position advertised.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.
Proposed start date: The appointment will begin as soon as possible. This is a 1 year rolling contract.
No other communication; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
EJF is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity, fair and equal treatment within the workplace