Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.**
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso currently seeking a Climate Change Consultant to manage, lead, and expand our climate
Change adaptation, mitigation, and resiliency projects in Puntland Specific duties include
Working independently and with others to
· Manage projects in the areas of climate adaptation, community resiliency, and climate risk
Management. Conduct vulnerability assessments and develop adaptation strategies for urban
And/or natural systems through research and community engagement.
· Develop climate action plans that describe projected climate impacts, quantify current and future
Greenhouse gas emissions, and identify strategies to build resiliency and reduce emissions.
Engage in business development, including formulating products and services, meeting with
Prospective clients and partners, and all aspects of proactive marketing and preparing proposals (Teaming, strategy, proposal-writing, budgeting, interviewing).
· Communicate directly with and build positive relationships with clients/partners and manage
Teams through all phases of a project (planning, implementation, analysis, reports) from
Initiation to completion.
- Perform project management, including scoping, budgeting, planning, client communication,
- Directing staff and/or subcontractors, reporting, and invoicing.
- Ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget, and in accordance with Adeso’s
- Reputation and standards for producing high-quality work products and outcomes.
- Advocate for the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all clients, community members,
and diverse stakeholders with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement
- Of environmental laws, regulations, and policies.
Fifteen (15) days
- Working knowledge of climate science, climate adaptation and mitigation strategies, and land
- Carbon sequestration processes.
- Knowledge of Puntland state of somalia, tribal, and local climate laws and regulations.
- Capabilities in equitable and culturally responsive engagement and facilitation.
- Established portfolio of successful policy, planning and/or analysis projects in the climate,
energy, or environmental fields.
- Demonstrated experience with creating strategic plans, climate action plans, or other similar
environmental or sustainability plans.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving skills; exceptional critical thinking capabilities.
- Ability to work in teams as well as independently.
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated ability to communicate scientific and technical ideas
- clearly using simple, commonly accepted language.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Comfort making presentations to clients and presenting information in a compelling,
Informative, and persuasive fashion.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to handle challenging situations with tact and
- Patience, leadership, humility, and a sense of humor.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with producing deliverables with Microsoft Office 365
- Programs including SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Other highly desirable attributes include:
- A bachelor’s, master’s, or other advanced degree in environmental sciences, environmental
- Management, public policy, or related field.
- Background in urban planning/design, infrastructure/asset management, land use, or risk
- Assessment/management associated with climate impacts.
- Excellent attention to detail complemented by strong organizational skills.
- Spoken and written fluency in both English and somalia
- Commitment to thinking critically about your own cultural lens and being able to communicate
- Effectively with people of different backgrounds and abilities. An ideal candidate will be
- Committed to providing equitable engagement to our communities, stakeholders, and clients.
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.
How to apply
All applications should be sent to by the 31st July 2020 with ‘’Climate Change Mitigation Adaption’’ on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.**
Each application package should include the following:**
- An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the consultant’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as the interest for the position. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates. The letter should be no longer than two pages;
- A sample of recent work;
- Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications;
- Contact details of 2 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.