The Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Program Manager will ensure management of all WASH related projects or activities within Beirut Mount Lebanon/South. The post holder is expected to lead on sectorial assessments, project planning, implementation, coordination, as well as budgeting and team management. The post is specifically oriented towards Save the Children WASH strategy supporting the national response to Covid-19. The WASH Program Manager will be expected to present SCI Lebanon at a national and regional level. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that all WASH activities of SCI Lebanon in the relevant geographic areas are done in accordance with Save the Children’s policies and minimum standards.
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Area Manager
Reporting to: Direct line management of 5 WASH technicians and overall supervision of contractors and service providers.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
– In collaboration with the area manager and technical advisors, design and finalize implementation plans for each WASH project.
– Prepare regular work plans in line with the implementation plan and ensure timely implementation of activities in line with the plans (Including beneficiary registration, trainings, data collection and distributions).
– Responsible for managing and overseeing the development, implementation and quality of the WASH projects.
– Ensure consistency in methodology and quality of implementation.
– Ensure integration of WASH program with other SCI sectors.
– Ensure proper monitoring of the quality of implementation through regular field visits and quality benchmark assessment.
– Monitor budget/expenditure based on the implementation plans; and analyze budget-versus-actual (BVA) reports to assess any discrepancies and ensure timely expenditure.
– In close coordination with the M&E department, analyze information to select intervention sites; and analyze and evaluate monitoring data to understand impact of projects and identify lessons learned for future programming.
– Liaise on a regular basis with finance, logistics, HR and administration to guarantee the smooth running of programs.
– Supervise assessments and beneficiary identification. Liaise with refugee communities and ensure adequate information, communication, sensitization, mobilization and feedback collection.
– In coordination with the area manager, ensure close coordination with the local stakeholders including municipalities, MoSA and local actors.
– Participate in the partnership process of local organization, including assessment and selection of local partners and contribute to the thematic capacity building.
– Produce timely reports for internal and external use.
– Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes for activities (If needed).
Team Management and Capacity Building
– Manage the personnel for the WASH team in the location described above, in collaboration with the Area Manager.
– Work in collaboration with technical advisors to identify capacity building requirements for the WASH Team members and develop capacity building plan accordingly.
– Conduct on the job Training and conduct regular training sessions.
– Ensure that policies and procedures are understood by new staff (e.g. procurement and finance requirements).
– Supervision, training and development of WASH staff.
– Work with the technical advisors and area manager to write proposals, including logical frameworks (developing measurable indicators to ensure outputs/outcomes) to secure funding for additional programming; ensure that appropriate measurable indicators are established.Participate in inter-agency and national learning and development to design new shielding approaches.
– Participate in inter-agency and national learning and development to design new WASH approaches.
– Work with colleagues from other sectors to ensure regular coordination at strategic and programmatic level; and ensure multi-sectoral programming.
– With other team members (and communities), identify program gaps and ensure appropriate action is taken.
– Oversee all project cycle management aspects of the WASH projects in BML/South.
– Ensuring all output data and beneficiary data is recorded and maintained in the WASH database.
– Working with Child Protection (CP), Shelter, Education and Food security & Livelihoods (FSL) colleagues on joint-programming surrounding physical protection.
Monitoring and Evaluation
– Ensure clear plans in place for monitoring and evaluating project activities in relation to Save the Children donor objectives; and that lessons learnt are shared and capitalized on.
– Ensure the projects are monitored regularly, and that data is collected on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis.
– Contribute to the development of data collection tools and databases.
– Regularly visit project sites to ensure that teams are appropriately supported.
Coordination and Advocacy
– Represent Lebanon Country Office at all relevant regional coordination meetings and other meetings and forums and take leading role to strengthen WASH aspects related to child protection and education.
– Ensure that program interventions continue to be informed by and integrated with other core sectors of SCI Lebanon, such as Child protection, Education, Shelter and Food security & Livelihoods (FSL).
– Contribute to the development of case studies for the purpose of reporting, advocacy and media efforts.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES:
– Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, hydraulics, water resources engineering, Civil, HVAC and environmental health related fields.
– At least 7 years’ experience, including 3 years in management position.
– Work experience in WASH programmes will be an added advantage
– Understanding in gender-sensitive programming and inclusion in INGO programming.
– Previous experience in managing complex, multi-sector, multi-stakeholder programmes, as well as leading on the coordination and writing of donor report
– Solid experience of programme implementation in complex and insecure environments, and capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances
– Demonstrated experience in designing and facilitating learning initiatives and capacity to supervise, train, mentor and coach staff
– Experience of representation and ability to represent SCI effectively in external forums
– Proven capacity in relationship building, influencing, negotiating and inter-personal skills
– Experience in working with in international NGOs, consortium projects management, government counterparts and other partners at various levels. This includes technical support, capacity building and coordination.
– Excellent understanding of WASH issues in Lebanon at both field and policy levels.
– Experience in implementing WASH projects.
– Demonstrable experience in WASH project management
– Ability to design on AutoCAD and prepare tender documents and as built drawings.
– Good presentation, training and facilitation skills
– Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
– Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
– Good spoken and written English,
– Good computer and report writing skill