Job Number: 501889 | Vacancy Link
Location: Republic of Mozambique
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Post title: WASH Officer
Post level: NO-2
Section: Co-located office in Quelimane
Duty Station: Quelimane, Mozambique
PURPOSE OF THE POST
The incumbent will assist in the implementation and monitoring of the Water and Sanitation section outputs. The incumbent will focus on the implementation and monitoring of the WASH programme and coordinates closely with government partners. The position will also focus on supporting the integrated service delivery platform that will bring together WASH, nutrition, and C4D, to address undernutrition in Zambézia.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Programme/Project Management. Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective WASH programme and project design, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation. Draft sound WASH programme budgets for review by the supervisor, including concrete steps to enhance emergency preparedness and response.
- Programme Efficiency and Effectiveness. Enhance programme efficiency and effectiveness through evidence base approach and implementation follow-on, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply and non-supply and emergency assistance and WASH programme status.
- Work Plan and Programme Documentation. Analyze collected data and information and prepare progress reports; draft changes in WASH project work plans and assist in identification of required supplies and equipment (for both development and emergency orientated activities) as well as in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other programme documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations and plans of action.
- Programme Implementation Information and Data. Ensure the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that WASH programme expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the programme information and database (e.g., FLS, ProMS). Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies. Collaborate with Monitoring & Evaluation office on maintaining a gender & equity focus in WASH data collection and reporting.
- Knowledge Sharing. Compile WASH programme implementation, preparedness, training and orientation materials to promote knowledge sharing with counterparts, WASH sectoral stakeholders, donors and media.
- Communication and Networking. Ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration: Collaborate with Operations staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day-to-day issues or discrepancies in financial or supply management; Team with local Government and sectoral stakeholders counterparts to exchange information on WASH programme implementation, status, capacity and risk mapping, preparedness as well as movement, prepositioning and distribution of supplies; Coordinate with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to WASH sector. Where appropriate support the IASC WASH Cluster during preparedness and response to emergencies.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED
- Education: A university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance. Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development, an asset.
- Work experience: Two years of professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization and national government and field work experience. Background/familiarity with Emergency preparedness and response (and the IASC Cluster approach).
- Languages: Fluency in Portuguese and English.
- Values and Competencies: Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity, Communication, Working with People, Drive for Results, Formulating strategies and concepts, Analyzing, Learning and researching, Applying technical expertise, Planning and Organising.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 12 Dec 2016 Egypt Standard Time
Closing Date 15 Jan 2017 Egypt Standard Time