Communication and Outreach Officer (UNEP)
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Infromation Officer, the National UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks focused on the EU funded project on Lake Turkana and its river basins in the context of the ecosystem management and biodiversity sub-programme in Africa:
- Research and drafting of articles, success stories, news features;
- Support the development of multimedia products and their dissemination to target audiences;
- Disseminate information materials to the media, coordinate interviews, organize press conferences and briefings, monitor press coverage of UN Environment in the African Region;
- Support the organisation of stakeholders’ meetings, media trainings events on communication and outreach;
- Participate in the design, development and implementation of campaigns and special events;
- Develop communication and outreach plans, in close liaison with the project manager, and participate in the implementation of the plans in partnersghip with other organisations involved in the Support to the Effective Cooperation and Coordination of Cross-border Initiatives (SECCCI) project;
- Support the project manager in resource mobilisation and engagement with partners;
- Support the engagement of media to raise the visibility of UN Environment’s work on transboundary water resurces management in the project countries (Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia) and how this links to the ecosystems and biodiversity sub-programme in Africa;
- Develop content on ecosystem services and biodiversity as well as other areas of work for the web and social media platforms;
- Monitor and analyse current events, public opinion and press coverage, identifying issues and trends, and follow upon appropriate action/responses;
- Undertake any other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time for the effective and efficient functioning of the communications unit’s support to the project and sub-programme
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Communications, Journalism, Public information or a related field
Required experience: 24 Months
- The candidate should have excellent writing skills. He/She should be familiar with managing contacts and networking with the media, non-governmental organizations, government officials, international and national organizations, business groups, civil society, etc. is necessary;
- Demonstrated experience in public information and/or public relations and/or experience as part of a strategic communications team and proven skills in public speaking;
- Experience in journalism and/or public information is mandatory;
- Experience working with the United Nations or a comparable international organization is desirable;
- Practical experience in the field of environment, politics, economics, social sciences, civil society mobilization and empowerment, sustainable development project related work is an advantage;
- Good skills in the use of computers including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and internet communications.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Public information and reporting, Journalism, mass media and broadcasting, Other communications related experience
Driving license: No
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.