For more than 115 years, The J. M. Smucker Company has been committed to offering consumers quality products that bring families together to share memorable meals and moments. Today, Smucker is a leading marketer and manufacturer of consumer food and beverage products and pet food and pet snacks in North America with annual net sales of approximately $8 billion. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker’s®, Folgers®, Jif®, Dunkin’ Donuts®, Crisco®, Pillsbury®, R.W. Knudsen Family®, Hungry Jack®, Café Bustelo®, Martha White®, truRoots®, Sahale Snacks®, Robin Hood®, and Bick’s®. In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Meow Mix®, Milk- Bone®, Kibbles ‘n Bits®, Natural Balance®, and 9Lives®. The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about the Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
Manager, Environmental Sustainability
Orrville, OH (Close Proximity to Akron/Cleveland)
The Manager, Environmental Sustainability is the subject matter expert on topics related to corporate sustainability including energy, GHG emissions, water and waste. The individual will be responsible for critical review and analysis of all federal & state environmental laws and regulations. The manager oversees the sustainability information management system maintaining a verifiable and auditable inventory, institutionalizing processes, enhancing data quality, streamlining reporting and increasing analytical robustness for the Company. The manager ensures the data collection & reporting systems are in place and implemented to accurately report sustainability results internally and externally. Manager will coordinate and facilitate 3rd party audits of data at an examination level. The individual will have cross-functional interactions and will need to clearly communicate with all levels in the Company. Role requires intimate knowledge of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol and implementation of emissions calculations as described in the General Reporting Protocol of The Climate Registry. Individual will provide expertise and leadership on establishing and meeting corporate environmental goals, as such they need a strong knowledge of business analytic tools for data analysis and trend reporting.
- Monitoring of environmental issues, laws and regulations
- Subject-matter expert on GHG protocols, GHG inventory development and carbon footprint assessment.
- Review and respond to the US EPA Mandatory Reporting Rule 40 CFR Part 98
- Monitor external sources of information that may impact the Company including FIEN Newsletter, SASB, WRI, Environmental Leader, EPA newsletter, etc.
- Train internal users on applicable requirements both current and future
- Sustainability Data Management
- Key relationship owner with external energy management organizations including large scale utility billing operations
- Critical internal contact for facility Sustainability Pillar Owners at manufacturing sites to answer questions regarding energy, emissions, water & waste
- Develop deep knowledge of the software system to manage sustainability data, in order to trouble-shoot, improve process, and drive better environmental results
- Sustainability Data Reporting
- System owner for the internal process and system for collecting sustainability data, ensuring the accuracy of inputs (GHG calculations, volume, utilities, etc.) and outputs, maintaining any quality assurance/quality control steps to validate information
- Calculate all Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions
- Monthly reconciliation and reporting of aggregate facility data, to use on scorecards with operations, business leaders and executive team.
- Track environmental goals and communicate progress and/or challenges and recommend actions to remediate.
- Renewable Energy
- Actively participate on teams evaluating the use of renewable energy, providing guidance on accounting to achieve environmental objectives.
- Calculate change in emissions and impact to project (ie additionality and baselines)
- Evaluate the best options and available technologies to achieve progress in conjunction with operations & engineering.
- Audit & Reporting
- Development and maintenance of the Inventory Management Planning and Reporting documents for external audit
- Annually leads the external audit process by providing aggregate data, establishing timeline, coordinating schedule with internal audit team, answering technical questions related to changes in emissions/waste/water and triages any information requests from auditors. Upon completion of the audit makes recommendations to further improve sustainability program using suggestions and input from the audit
- Lead CDP submission including coordinating internal stakeholders, providing quantitative data, giving an opinion of level of response/detail necessary and interfacing with CDP as the Company contact. Maintain response to Climate and Water Modules, with the consideration for further disclosure
- Internal contact for Corporate Responsibility Report providing sustainability data and information
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Environmental Science or related field
- Preference for advanced degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or Sustainability
- Over ten+ years of business and environmental experience
- Knowledge of environmental, social and economic pillars of sustainability
- Intermediate knowledge of GHG accounting practices, including methods for calculating Scope 1 and Scope 2 (location & market based) emissions from a variety of sources
- Knowledge in GRI (G3/G4)
- Working knowledge of AICPA AT101 (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Attest Engagements on GHG Emissions Information)
- Experience with leading third party audits
- Problem-solving: Can take complex issues and translate into actionable steps
- Strong analytical skills to evaluate complex data, multiple sources of data, and layers of data and calculations
- Strong communication skills to positively influence frequent cross functional interactions, and to train individuals on highly technical information in a manner that is relatable.
- Flexible to support changing department needs
The J. M. Smucker Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, marital status, familial status, disability, genetic information, protected veteran/military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.