Canada nationals: Environmental Data Science Specialist
Although this position has onsite office-based requirements, it can temporarily be performed virtually due to the current extraordinary circumstances related to COVID-19. This will remain in place until physical distancing advisories are lifted.
Virtual Recruitment Process
Due to present physical distancing requirements related to COVID-19, the recruitment process for this competition may take place virtually.
- An eligibility list may be established for future temporary or permanent positions.
- Currently available is one temporary position until July 15, 2021
- Interviews are anticipated during the last week of August or first week of September 2020
This position is located in Victoria, however, other provincial locations and remote worksites maybe considered,
A great opportunity to take the next step in your career
The Ministry of Environment is responsible for protecting and enhancing the province's natural environment. This includes providing timely information on the status and trends of the provincial environment to the government and the public and evaluating progress towards the achievement of provincial, national and international environmental goals. The State of Environment Reporting Unit is charged with providing open, scientifically-credible, comprehensive data and information on environmental conditions (status and trends), pressures and impacts; the effects of policies to respond to environmental issues; and the broader socio-economic context.
The Environmental Data Science Specialist—under the direction of the Unit Head, State of Environment Reporting— fosters close cooperation with and works as a leader, team member and independently with technical and policy Ministry and NRS staff, external partners and stakeholders, other jurisdictions, and contractors to design, develop, and update state of environment data and products (e.g. results data, statistical analyses, indicators, maps). The Environmental Reporting Data Specialist oversees, designs, and conducts detailed scientific analysis of environmental data, including long-term trend/pattern analysis, integration and synthesis of multiple data sources, and professional interpretations to create new knowledge. The Environmental Data Science Specialist ensures the Unit is utilizing ‘best practices’ in data science tools and transparent methods for reporting on the provincial environment (e.g. long-term trends and/or status of air quality, land, water quality, biodiversity, climate, and sustainability).
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, between July 25 and August 9, please contact, Joyce.firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise contact . DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to , before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirement as outlined below:
- University degree in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Natural Resource Management, Geography, or a related field and a minimum of 3 years related experience; OR
- Master of Science degree in a relevant discipline and 1 year related experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Registered or immediately eligible to register as a Professional Biologist (RP Bio) with the College of Applied Biology within 6 months of appointment.
- Successful completion of security screening requirements of the BC Public Service, which may include a criminal records check, and/or Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA) check, and/or enhanced security screening checks as required by the ministry (Note: It is important that you read the job posting carefully to understand the specific security screening requirements pertaining to the position).
Related experience must include but is not limited to the following:
- Experience in the design and implementation of statistical analysis (trend and status) projects related to environmental or natural resource subjects.
- Experience in using the R programming language to apply the principles of data science to the analysis of environmental data and production of reports.
- Experience in the use of the R programming language for the purposes of data visualization and science communication.
- Experience in writing, summarizing and editing scientific or technical information for both technical and non-technical audiences.
Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Experience in scientific project management.
- Experience in leading and/or facilitating the effective operation of multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience in working effectively with multiple projects and assignments.
- Experience developing R packages or Shiny applications
- Experience using source code version control such as Git and GitHub
Please include your registration number with the College of Applied Biology (CAB) within your application, as you must be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) with CAB. If you are not yet registered with the CAB, please explain how you are immediately eligible (i.e. currently a Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) member in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and can immediately transfer to the CAB). To assess your ability to meet these criteria, please visit the CAB website academic self-assessment tool.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Professional Designation: YES - Please include your registration number in your application. You must be registered or immediately eligible to register as a Professional Biologist (RP Bio) with the College of Applied Biology within 6 months of appointment. Note: immediately eligible for registration is defined as being able to transfer a current membership from an applicable jurisdiction.
Cover Letter: NO - Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES - A resume is required as part of your application; however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES - As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Information Management/Information Technology, Natural Resource Sector, Scientific and Technical