Full time Permanent
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd (ESR)
ESR is a Crown Research Institute, working with and for clients and stakeholders to deliver enhanced scientific research services for the economic, environmental and social wellbeing of New Zealand. ESR has approximately 400 staff with sites across New Zealand.
We are currently seeking someone with a great attitude and the skills to match to take up a permanent fulltime role within our Groundwater team in Christchurch.
Your new role
Reporting to the Groundwater Manager, you would be responsible for carrying out research into groundwater modelling and assisting other members of the groundwater team in modelling aspects of a range of groundwater contamination research projects.
What you'll need to succeed
We are seeking a highly motivated, team-focussed researcher with expertise in groundwater modelling for a permanent position. Applicants will have a post-graduate degree with experience in groundwater contamination investigation and research.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A PhD degree in groundwater modelling or closely related engineering or scientific field.
- Experience in groundwater modelling research. Consultancy experience would be an advantage.
- Capability to develop groundwater flow and contaminant fate and transport models, using novel approaches which may require the development of new techniques.
- Experience developing code in Python, Fortran or similar, for linking models, and processing input data and model outputs.
- Experience undertaking model parameter and predictive uncertainty analysis, and using the parameter estimation software PEST.
- High level of commitment and motivation to publishing research results at high impact journals.
- GIS skills would be an advantage.
What you'll get in return
You will get to work with a passionate team, who take pride in the quality of their work and have the opportunity to carry out cutting edge research in modelling of groundwater contamination and mitigation processes. You will also get to be part of a very unique institution that supports the wellbeing of the community and wider New Zealand.
ESR promotes active work/life policies including family-friendly initiatives and flexible hours. You'll receive ongoing personal development, free car parking as well as access to a Southern Cross group membership scheme.
Apply on line at https://www.careers.sciencenewzealand.org/esr/esr-jobs