ICRISAT seeks applications for the position of Associate Scientist: Gender Transformative Approach support to WLE-LWS Gender action plan at ICRISAT. The position is based at ICRISAT- Patancheru, Hyderabad, within Markets, Institutions, Nutrition & Diversity Theme of Innovation systems for the Drylands Program and reports to Senior Scientist, Gender Research.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in Sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
We are looking for an early career researcher or practitioner, who has strong gender, agriculture and natural resources knowledge, interested to work with leading gender experts to help bridge gender theory-policy-practice gaps
The CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE) promotes a new paradigm, in which sustainably managed agricultural food systems are the key to healthy, functioning ecosystems and human well-being. To know more about, please visit www.wle.org.WLE is a research-for-development program delivering agriculture solutions that enhance natural resources and the well-being of people in the Global South
Applying a Gender Transformative Approach in WLE-LWS research at ICRISAT
ICRISAT under its WLE-LWS gender portfolio has an action plan for Impact: Gender-responsive Watershed Research. The plan is to making watershed research and interventions led by at ICRISAT more gender-responsive and eventually gender transformative. Gender-responsive approaches are designed to meet both women’s and men’s needs, priorities and constraints as a means to ensure a more equal spread of benefits, or at the very least, to ensure that research, programs and policy “do no harm” to marginalised and more vulnerable groups. While gender responsive projects address the symptoms of gender equality, gender transformative research 2 actively strives to examine, question and change the foundations of gender inequity and unequal power relations, with a focus on transforming gender relations to be more equitable. Our focus to build capacity internally will have direct outreach and impact on the multiple external stakeholders and partners who are engaged on the project. We also plan to build on the link established with Government of India’s Niti Aayog to influence key policy actors and program implementers on the need for gender responsive/transformative approaches that can structurally disrupt intersectional inequalities at scale in watershed management. The overarching goal is to create awareness and strengthen capacity at scale on the need for gender equal and socially inclusive watershed development and management, and influence policy change towards gender inclusive initiatives.
A GTA allows for tackling the root causes of inequality by gender, by understanding and addressing the structure and culture of power relations in policy and practice institutions at scale.
Tasks and Objectives
The Associate Scientist will be part of a Gender and Inclusion team at ICRISAT and CRP WLE, which supports WLE Flagships to applying a GTA approach. She/He will work under the supervision of the ICRISAT – WLE Gender and Inclusion focal point. He/she will also work closely with the team of researchers and consultants appointed for gender capacity strengthening of Flagship programs, to:
- Assist in developing a gender analysis and synthesis paper of watershed research and development interventions and outcomes focusing on intersectional inequalities and social inclusion
- Plan for and support two workshop aimed at internal capacity strengthening for relevant ICRISAT researchers, and an end of project advocacy and outreach workshop targeting external stakeholders and partners
- Developing Gender responsive and transformative methodologies and toolkits for research and implementation
- Work with the Communications team to translate WLE gender deliverables and outputs to communication outputs and outcomes as relevant to WLE reporting and outreach requirements,
- Undertake and/or support relevant research, capacity strengthening and planning and documentation activities, as required
ICRISAT is seeking an early career researcher, with:
- A Ph.D. degree in related disciplines with 0-5 years of experience post Ph.D.
- Demonstrated understanding of gender transformative approach
- Strong analytical and communication skills – we are looking for someone who helps inspire attention to gender and inclusion across a wide range of WLE projects and programs
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position for two years renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 2-August-2020, with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.