Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMCO sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and several island states.
KEMC has its own Technical and Design Services Unit (TSU) which comprises a core group of technical staff supplemented by experts employed on a retainer basis. The group conducts feasibility studies and assessments and engages in design and monitoring work. The core group’s skills include Civil, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Architects, Design Associates and Quantity Surveyors. Senior Civil Engineer-Retainer will provide additional capacity in core disciplines as well as GIS and sector specific expertise (roads, healthcare, heritage etc).
Under the overall supervision of the TSU Manager, the Senior Civil Engineer-Retainer will give his/her technical expertise as required to support the activities of the unit in water-related civil infrastructure, with a particular focus on dams.
- Review, analyse and advise on existing dam infrastructure;
- Review, analyse and comment on existing designs;
- Assess and review risks;
- Develop approaches to new design and or rehabilitation of dams and associated infrastructure;
- Contribute technical expertise to feasibility studies;
- Prepare designs and costs of infrastructure;
- Advise on life cycles and maintenance requirements;
- Participate in meetings with various parties including stakeholders;
- Prepare design briefs and design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary
- Prepare comprehensive design documentation.
- Work closely with other professionals in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing integrated designs and or reports.
- Ensure the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs for review by TSU Manager.
- Carry out design services for projects according to the client’s design requirement and as per applicable international standards and codes of practices.
- Strong ability in producing relevant bill of quantities of the projects proposed.
- Carry out site inspections and assessments as required.
- Develop specifications, procedures and QA/QC protocols when required.
- Proactively assist the Technical Unit Manager in managing the design projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints.
- Liaise with international clients and address requirements when required.
- Co-ordinate the works and submissions with all other disciplines.
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design.
- Carry out technical reviews as appropriate.
- Review and certify design documentation as a third party independent reviewer when required.
The Senior Civil Engineer- Retainer will predominantly work from home with frequent travels (i.e. one-third of his/her time) within Countries under the KEMC as required and as UNDSS permits.
An agreed scope, deliverables and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-KEMC and the Senior Civil Engineer -Retainer prior to commencement of each assignment.
- Advanced University Degree in Civil & Structural Engineering or other relevant discipline is required.
- University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Civil & Structural Engineering or other relevant discipline may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree
- Minimum (7) years’ experience in civil engineering works is required
- Experience in civil works especially on dams is required, preferably including the range from small earth to large concrete dams. Experience should include assessment, design and construction phases.
- Experience in infrastructure in developing country context is an asset
- Experience in Disaster Risk Reduction / Management is an asset
- Experience in Southern Africa region is an asset
- Experience working on international/local projects in conflict/disaster prone areas is an asset.