We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://bit.ly/3jb7Nsz
Job Description Summary
Performs complex (journey-level) to advanced (senior-level) geosciences and hydrological work. Work involves conducting and overseeing the execution of technical projects to map, characterize, and model groundwater in the aquifers of the state related to the Brackish Resources Aquifer Characterization System Program. Gathers, manages, analyzes groundwater and well data. Interprets well logs for stratigraphic, lithologic, and water quality information. Enters data, analysis, and interpretations in databases and GIS files. Prepares peer-reviewed technical reports and other documents. May develop or review groundwater flow models and interprets modeling results. May train others. Works under general to minimal supervision, with limited to considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Innovative Water Technologies Department.
Essential Job Functions
· Works on multi-year technical projects requiring attention to detail and quality control.
· Reviews and evaluates data to develop recommendations for technical projects.
· Collaborates as a member of a team of geologists and engineers.
· Researches, organizes, and implements the acquisition of necessary well log and water well data to map and characterize the brackish sections of aquifers.
· Analyzes and interprets geological and geophysical well log information from sources such as well logs, well reports, and published and unpublished literature.
· Prepares technical reports and other documents.
· May develop or uses groundwater models for various applications.
· Manages contracts related to the BRACS program.
· Spends extended periods on a computer performing log interpretation, database, GIS, and other related tasks.
· Makes presentations at public meetings, workshops, seminars, and conferences on technical projects.
· Researches and provides written and verbal responses to public and inter- and intra-agency inquiries.
· Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
· Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule.
· Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
· May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science in Geology, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, or Engineering related field or other related field.
· Three years of progressive work experience in related field.
· Relevant education and experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
· Licensed as a Professional Geoscientist is required for the Geoscientist II - IV state classification.
· Graduate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Geology, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Engineering related field or other related field.
· Licensed as a Geoscientist-In-Training or Professional Geoscientist.
· Experience with ArcGIS Spatial Analyst, metadata, ArcPy, and Model Builder.
· Experience with database applications using Microsoft Access, Visual Basic, and SQL
· Experience in well or wellfield design.
· Experience in groundwater modeling using MODFLOW and Groundwater Vistas.
· Experience with developing, using, or manipulating Fortran, PERL, Python, or SQL for data management or groundwater models.
· Experience with groundwater resources of Texas.
· Experience with the geology of Texas.
· Experience with aquifer geochemistry.
· Experience in self-directed and team-based geological studies.
· Experience in collecting and interpreting large geological datasets.
· Experience in geophysical well log analysis and interpretation related to groundwater studies.
· Experience with driller’s descriptions, oilfield well logs, and related geological databases and reports.
· Experience with geological software such as IHS Markit Kingdom Software, Golden Software Surfer and Strater, Schlumberger Blueview, and Neuralog scanner.
· Experience with preparing and writing technical reports.
· Experience with public presentations.
· Experience with contract management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
· Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to Brackish Resources Aquifer Characterization System program and Innovative Water Technologies department; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
· Knowledge of hydrogeological, geological, and geochemical concepts, techniques, and analysis.
· Knowledge of geophysical well logging concepts, techniques, and analysis including identification of log signatures that may be related to water quality.
· Knowledge of geosciences testing methods, processes, and procedures.
· Knowledge of the practical application of geosciences and technology.
· Knowledge of GIS concepts, techniques, and analysis.
· Knowledge of relational database concepts, techniques, and analysis.
· Knowledge of numerical groundwater flow modeling.
· Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
· Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
· Skills in scientific data management.
· Skills in the use of standard tools of the profession.
· Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
· Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
· Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
· Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
· Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
· Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
· Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
· Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks.
· Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
· Ability and willingness to travel 10% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
· Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a driver’s license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
· Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
· Ability to train others.
· Ability to apply hydrogeological and geophysical concepts.
· Ability to plan, coordinate, manage, and implement multi-year technical projects.
· Ability to schedule and prioritize work to maintain regular progress on assignments and meet deadlines.
· Ability to break complex ideas or tasks into logical, documentable, and defendable steps.
· Ability to receive and provide constructive criticism as part of a quality control process.
· Ability to collaborate with co-workers to innovate techniques for aquifer characterization.
· Ability to train others.
Please see complete job description at http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/index.asp
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $4,583.34 - $5,833.34 per month
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discount
- Flexible Schedule
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Waiting period may apply
- Temporarily due to COVID-19