Technicians will carry out riparian, erosion and sediment, and fish passage assessments in the Chehischic Creek watershed, and elsewhere in the Prince George Forest District, using basic field equipment including a measuring tape, clinometer, rod and level etc. to assess watershed condition in designated Fisheries Sensitive Watersheds. The field assessments will be carried out by a two‐person crew, and training will be provided in current Forest and Range Evaluation Program (FREP) assessment protocols by Ministry of Forest, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development staff. Data entry and assisting with report writing may be part of the job activities.
Candidates are required to meet the following qualifications:
- Graduate of, or be enrolled in, a post-secondary degree/diploma program in biological sciences, natural resource conservation/management or equivalent;
- Possess basic field data collection skills and ability to complete field data sheets consistently and accurately;
- Experience working in remote locations;
- Be physically fit in order to conduct strenuous field surveys over varying terrain and through water;
- Ability to orient in a wilderness setting using GPS and/or iPad with geo-referenced maps;
- Possess a valid class 5 drivers licence;
- Competent and safe driver able to navigate large 4×4 vehicle on resource roads for long distances;
- Experience using radios and check-in systems and following other safety protocols while in remote locations;
- Possess a valid WCB level 1 first aid certificate or higher
Preference may be given to candidates that meet these additional qualifications:
- Possess an electrofishing certificate;
- Familiarity assessing riparian and aquatic habitat attributes in the field;
- Experience using ArcMap GIS software
* Please submit copies of these certificates and any other pertinent and current certificates with your application.
Wage: $23 – $25 per hour (commensurate on experience)
Term: August – October 2020
Location: Prince George, B.C.
Anticipated Start Date: Week of Tuesday August 4th 2020
Closing date for application: As soon as a suitable candidate is found, do not delay in applying. Rolling interviews will be held.
Please submit a cover letter and resume in .pdf format using the form below. Include copies of relevant certifications, 3 references with contact information in your resume. Your application should clearly display how you meet the above job requirements. Include your first and last name in the file names. Due to the high volume of applicants we receive, only those that are selected for interviews will be contacted.
Closing Date: As soon as a suitable candidate is found, do not delay in applying