Water & Wastewater
Approximate Duration: 2 years
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Salary Pending Review
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager (SPM) of Water and Wastewater Engineering, the Project Coordinator will assist in various day-to-day activities associated with managing capital projects. S/he will coordinate with various individuals (internal and/or external), as advised by the SPM, to facilitate planning, execution, monitoring and reporting. S/he is responsible for financial, project and administrative support. S/he will be responsible for project specific communication & collaboration, within cross functional teams. S/he may also be required to independantly manage some tier 3 projects.
- Post-secondary diploma in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical or Environmental Engineering or a related discipline.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and qualifications may be considered.
2 to 5 years of project coordination experience, preferably in municipal infrastructure.
Qualifications, Certifications or Designations:
- Registered with the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists.
- Registered as Engineer-in-Training (EIT) with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO).Knowledge of project management tools/software.
- Knowledge file management, transcription, and other administrative procedures.
- Independently manages and delivers tier 3 capital project(s), ensuring compliance to requirements and adherence to budget and schedules (as assigned), under the guidance of a Senior Project Manager. Projects include condition assessments, sewer rehabilitation, small sewage pumping station upgrades and minor mechanical and electrical in facilities)
- Manages project throughout the lifecycle; including initiation, planning, Environmental Assessment, design, construction, commissioning, and close-out.
- Ensure projects adhere to frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately.
- Liaise with the Project Management Office and other internal service groups.
- Coordination of project schedule, scheduling workshops, inviting correct attendees, coordinating facilities, managing resources needed to execute project deliverables.
- Prepare agendas and coordinate team meetings supporting project management team.
- Review and circulate meeting minutes and follow up on action items.
- Prepare and edit project documentation.
- Ensure all documentation is complete, properly formatted (according to project requirements), versioned and stored in the appropriate locations.
- Identify bottlenecks, risks and opportunities and look for strategic insights. Be the escalation point for project specific issues.
- Review and help inform on project changes.
- Maintain project documentation on changes to project (i.e., scope, budget, schedule, risks, and stakeholder issues).
- Look for opportunities for continuous improvement in project processes, reporting and resourcing.
Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Maintain and monitor project schedules, milestone deliverables, work hours, budgets and expenditures.
- Ensure project management logs and action items are up to date and accurate, per the project requirements.
- Follow up on assigned action items and track those to closure.
- Assist in the development Council Reports and other stakeholder reports.
- Assist and coordinate with legal, financial and procurement matters.
- Work with project team to define project metrics.
- Develop project dashboards and reports to measure performance.
- Data gathering and reporting of project metrics.
- Assist the SPM and project staff with budgeting, financial processes, and other documentation.
- Perform financial administrative support including preparation of expense reports, purchasing card processing and initiating purchase requisitions.
Project Communication and Engagement
- Develops and maintains relationships and communication with internal and external project stakeholders to support core objectives of the project.
- Meet regularly with SPM on project-related matters.
- Ensure all project documents are issued and filed in a timely manner.
- Maintain communication logs – including meeting minutes, correspondence, etc.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members, in a timely and clear fashion.
- Motivate project team members, and encourage them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Continually seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction.
- Build and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaise with stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to other offices, work locations or sites as authorized by the Corporation for business reasons.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect