This is an immediate opening for a full time (5 days/week) staff position at our Vancouver office (subject to public health recommendations).
Application Deadline: July 31, 2020
West Coast Environmental Law harnesses the power of law to solve complex environmental challenges. For over 40 years we have provided legal information, advice and support to British Columbians in every corner of the province seeking to protect their water, lands and air, while working at the provincial and national scale for systemic legal solutions to environmental problems.
Reporting to the program lead for our Climate Program, the Climate Impacts Campaigner will support our team in organizing and educating at a local and provincial level on the probable impacts of climate change and how to prepare for and respond to them.
We are seeking an individual who:
- Can understand and translate data on regional climate impacts in ways that tells a compelling story about how climate change will affect local communities;
- Has experience in organizing and working at a community level, including with community groups and local governments;
- Has the experience and commitment to help deepen our organisational engagement with individuals from all walks of life, inspiring understanding, commitment and action for systemic environmental solutions;
- Has experience using social media, art, guerilla theatre, or other communications in innovative ways that could help members of the public visualise and spatialize the impacts of climate change and to move from concern about those impacts to action on climate change;
- Is knowledgeable about climate change policy, including adaptation and loss and damage, and design and delivery of climate adaptation measures;
- Is detail-oriented and isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
- Has strong time management skills; with a demonstrated ability to meet multiple and concurrent deadlines
- Has experience in communicating and working with First Nations’ organizations and communities (desirable)
- Has a degree in planning, civil engineering, climate modelling or equivalent education and expertise related to understanding and preparing for climate impacts.
- Research and write materials and design tactics intended to communicate the local and/or costed risks of climate change;
- Organize, design and host events to discuss climate risks and costs and approaches to building climate safety and resilience;
- Work with the climate and communications teams, and allies, to develop and implement engagement strategies aimed at mobilizing public support for governments to track climate costs, implement climate adaptation measures and hold fossil fuel companies accountable for climate costs;
- Coordinate quarterly e-newsletter and periodic action alerts related to West Coast’s climate program;
- Convene and host meetings with partner organizations, allies, local governments and others to coordinate joint strategy;
- Work with experts and community partners to quantify, spatialize and cost the impacts of climate change and/or the benefits and costs of climate adaptation;
- Other related tasks assigned by Climate Program Lead.
Remuneration: Salary range is $47,000-55,000, commensurate with experience. Position includes extended medical benefits (after 3 months of employment) and pension (RRSP contribution) after one year of employment.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to [email protected] by July 31st, 2020. Please quote “Climate Impacts Campaigner” in the subject line.
At West Coast Environmental Law, we aim to promote equity and challenge discrimination. We recognize the value of diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions and beliefs.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website: http://www.wcel.org