Program Specialist III
Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://bit.ly/2VWM9OJ
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
Job Description Summary
Performs complex (journey-level) data analyses and technical assistance work to provide research, analytical, and reporting functions for various programs in the Water Use, Projections & Planning Division (WUUP). Work involves assisting with development of population and water use estimates and projections and socioeconomic impact analysis, providing technical and administrative support to the State Water Implementation Fund for Texas (SWIFT) water project prioritization process and coordinating that process for the division; Analyzes large data sets such as Census, socioeconomic, or water use data. Writes technical reports. Develops innovative ways to improve analytical methodologies, ensure data quality and disseminate projections and related water use and planning data. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Economic & Demographic Analysis Department.
Essential Job Functions
· Provides assistance in developing the department’s data collection plan, procedure and manages organization of multiple datasets from various sources associated with water use, demographics, economics, and water resources planning.
· Designs and develops queries and data reports using multiple databases including Water Use Survey, and State Water Plan maintained by different programs in the division in response to requests for projections and water use related information.
· Develops annual population and water use estimates and documents work processes.
· Performs technical reviews of SWIFT financial assistance requests and analyzing data from the regional and state water plans.
· Collects, organizes, reviews, and analyzes water planning data and other information and maintains records to ensure division compliance with SWIFT abridged application review.
· Develops internal SWIFT program policies and decision recommendations.
· Coordinates the SWIFT abridged application review and prioritization scoring process among all WUPP areas.
· Develops, documents, and tracks project prioritization material related to SWIFT loan applications.
· Coordinates with other agency areas and staff as necessary and maintains project schedules and standards.
· Analyzes regional and state water plan data, and historic water use data in evaluating SWIFT financial assistance requests and supporting division projects.
· Drafts and maintains a wide variety of documents including process documents, memos, presentations, briefing materials, and reports.
· Assists in conducting socioeconomic impact analyses for state water planning requirements.
· Performs quality assurance/quality control review of database queries and data sets to improve the integrity, effectiveness, and usefulness of the data for the department’s programs.
- Assists in developing the department’s data QC requirements and methodological documentation and in conducting various data QC.
· Develops population and water demand projections for the regional and state water planning processes including the development of methodologies and implementation of procedures.
· Prepares technical memorandums describing the methodology and results of the analysis and maintains work process documents.
· Plans and conducts research and analysis associated with water use, population, economics, and related topics for use in present water use and future projections of water demands for regional and statewide water planning.
· Develops innovative approaches to analyzing, presenting, and disseminating the department’s data and information to internal and external stakeholders.
· Assists in the development and final review of regional and state water plans.
· Provides technical assistance to internal and external customers for water use and/or demographic analyses.
· Reviews and assesses population and water use data for assigned Board financial assistance requests for water and wastewater projects.
· Provides guidance to other staff.
· Develops water impact statements for legislation that includes the creation of water districts.
· Participates in various agency teams, special projects and other duties as assigned.
· Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
· Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule.
· Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
· May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Graduation from an accredited four-year college with a bachelor’s degree in Planning, Resource and Environmental Studies, Geography, Public Administration, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related discipline.
· Five years of work experience with data analysis work experience.
· Relevant education and related experience may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
· Graduate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Planning, Resource and Environmental Studies, Geography, Public Administration, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
· Three years of work experience with relational databases, including querying, reviewing, and reporting data.
· Experience querying data using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
· Experience with geographic information system (Arc/GIS) and spatial analysis.
· Experience in regional and state water planning in Texas and/or water use or water projection data.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
· Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the WUPP Division; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
· Knowledge of principles, methodology, and practices of governmental planning, programming, and research.
· Knowledge of Texas water providers, laws, trends, and data sources.
· Knowledge of principles, methodology and practices of socio-economic and demographic analysis.
- Knowledge of the use of Census data including American Community Survey.
- Knowledge of research techniques, statistical methods and geographical concepts and their application to data analysis.
· Skills in evaluating and analyzing large amounts of data using Excel Pivot tables, R, Python, or comparable software.
- Skills in problem-solving and organizational skills.
· Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, Access, and SQL.
· Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in building data-related reports using software such as Microsoft Access, Crystal Reports, or Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Skills in graphical, tabular, and geographical presentation of data.
- Skills in preparing and writing technical reviews and reports.
- Skills with ESRI ArcGIS software and spatial analysis
· Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
· Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
· Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
· Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
· Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
· Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
· Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
· Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks.
· Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
· Ability and willingness to travel 3% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
· Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a driver’s license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
· Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
· Ability to train others.
- Ability to apply critical and analytical thinking and review work with attention to details.
- Ability to manage, manipulate, and analyze complex databases.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $3,520.34 - $4,500.00 per month
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Waiting period may apply
- Temporarily due to COVID-19