Aquatic Habitat Canada (AHC) is a national partnership initiative to support the protection and restoration of aquatic habitat in freshwater and marine environments. The initiative is in the third year of a three-year pilot funded by Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Canadian Wildlife Federation. AHC is seeking a Program Manager who is passionate about marine and freshwater conservation and the protection and restoration of fish habitat. The successful candidate will possess both science and policy expertise and be skilled at bringing diverse perspectives together to guide conservation. The Program Manager will work directly with the AHC Steering Committee and Working Groups and liaise with Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Canadian Wildlife Federation. The Program Manager will oversee the work plan and budget for the partnership, manage staff and contractors, and provide leadership and direction for the four areas of work: Restoration Planning and Prioritization, Resources and Capacity-Building, Knowledge Synthesis and Transfer, Policy and Program. Aquatic Habitat Canada is hosted by the Canadian Wildlife Federation and the Program Manager is an employee of CWF.
- Support the AHC Steering Committee and provide leadership and direction in developing the partnership, the four areas of work, and associated projects.
- Support AHC Working Groups in delivery of projects including finalizing and disseminating a review of Canada’s regulations and policies for aquatic habitat restoration, and scoping of a restoration opportunities database for fish habitat.
- Liaise with scientists, government officials, Indigenous organizations and NGOs to share information, develop contacts, and promote ongoing engagement in the partnership.
- Approach potential partners from industry, government, Indigenous organizations, academia, fishing organizations, and non-governmental organizations to solicit their participation in the partnership.
- Organize and chair regular teleconferences with the Steering Committee.
- Organize and host the partnership’s annual general meeting.
- Supervise contractors and staff.
- Provide support to CWF fundraising staff in creating funding proposals for potential industry, foundation, and government funders.
- Review or write reports and other documents (project reports, reports to funders, meeting reports).
- Requires Master’s degree in related field (Environmental Science, Studies, or Policy; Marine or Freshwater Biology) with minimum 5 years of relevant work experience (government, consulting, not-for-profit).
- Strong English written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations that protect aquatic habitat and guide restoration.
- Knowledge of fish habitat and the various threats to and opportunities for protection and restoration.
- Project management experience, including working with a volunteer board or steering committee.
- Experience reviewing and synthesizing scientific literature and environmental policy and regulation.
- Experience with Indigenous decision-making processes and cross-cultural
- Leadership experience in professional societies or the not-for-profit sector.
- Ability to communicate in French.
Conditions of Service:
- Reporting To: Aquatic Habitat Canada Steering Committee and CWF’s
- Senior Conservation Biologist – Freshwater Ecology
- Period of Employment: 10 month contract with possibility of extension
- dependent on funding.
- Travel: The post may require an ability to undertake limited travel within
- Canada, depending on COVID-19-related restrictions.
- Location: Ottawa, Ontario
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter and resume by July 24th, 2020. Please quote position title that you are applying for in the subject line. Only the candidates who meet the qualifications and experience for the position will be contacted for an interview. We thank you for your interest in the Canadian Wildlife Federation.
AODA Statement for Offer of Employment
Canadian Wildlife Federation “CWF” is committed to accessibility and to
protecting the human rights of its employees. In support of this aim, CWF has implemented an accommodation process that provides accommodations for employees with disabilities. CWF will accommodate employees with disabilities up to the point of undue hardship.
The accommodation supports available to employees are laid out in our
Accommodation Policy. If your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Offer of Employment necessitates a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please contact the Human Resources Department. This ensures that the appropriate accommodations are in place before you begin your employment. Do not hesitate to reach out to the Human Resources Department if you require an accommodation related to a disability or a medical condition at any point during your employment with CWF.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Employee Assistance Program
- On-site Parking
In our efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19, all employees are temporarily working remotely from home. Staff may enter the building for essential purposes only, limit 10 in the building at all times, respecting social distancing and cleaning protocols.
- government, consulting, not-for-profit (relevant): 5 years (Required)
- Master’s Degree (Required)
- Ottawa, ON (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19