Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Head of UNEP’s Global Environment Monitoring Unit, or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Quast Assistant for WWQA and GEMS/Water will:
- Support the development, finalization and dissemination of key scientific products and tools within the workflows of GEMS/Water and the WWQA that are being produced by the UNEP Science Division.
- Facilitate the coordination of WWQA workflow of interlinkages between water quality and health and actively research and support resource mobilisation
- Support the transfer of existing GEMS/Water Capacity Development short courses to UNEP’s Moodle Platform.
- Support the development and implementation of communication and outreach material and activities of GEMS/Water and WWQA.
- Assist and facilitate the Global Environment Monitoring Unit in meeting and workshop arrangements
- Respond to queries relating to GEMS/Water and WWQA and proactively liaise with existing and potential new partners
- Participate in team meetings of the GEMS Unit, Big Data Branch and Science Division contributing to increased efficiency and effectiveness.
- Produce meeting reports, support project progress reporting and other reports, as needed
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. Environmental Geoscience or area related to environment and freshwater;
- 0-2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in water science (marine and freshwater), geoscience, climate change), policy and practice, or scientific research and outreach, or other relevant programmes; experience with UNEP’s work in the area of water or that of other UN-Water members is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in Global Environmental Monitoring, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English (Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- French (Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.