The overall purpose of engaging a Contractor is to develop capacity within the Albanian Water Resources Management Agency (AMBU). The main task of the Contractor is, therefore, not to take over the implementation of the activities under the different components, but to assist AMBU in carrying out the activities and contribute tangibly to achieving the expected results. The main approach to developing knowledge and competence will be through on-the-job training and mentoring. For each expert proposed by the Contractor there will be at least one counterpart with whom s/he will work. In addition, there will be a number of workshops, seminars, training events and study visits that will develop capacity at an individual level.
The main functions of AMBU are:
1. Development, regulation and financing of the sector.
2. Directing functions, focusing on the water resources system.
3. Management functions, focusing on product/service delivery.
4. Operational functions, focusing on administration and operation.
The main challenges faced by AMBU in putting in place its internal organizational structure and beginning to execute its new legal functions include:
– Absorbing the functions that are required to be executed in order to fulfill its purpose.
– Clarifying its responsibilities and role in the sector, avoiding overlap with other institutions.
– Positioning staff in the respective positions of work.
– Acquiring and upgrading the technology and assets.
– Testing, accommodating and putting in operation the new internal structures.
– Ensuring proper interface and coordination with external stakeholders, that is, the other institutions holding responsibilities related to water resources.
The project is complex in that it covers the entire spectrum of AMBU responsibilities and reaches out in certain cases to the large number of beneficiaries and stakeholders in the water sector. It is also intended that there shall be a good level of flexibility in the implementation and the project shall be able to respond to changed priorities if such occur.
The expected project results, to the achievement of which the Contractor will contribute tangibly, are:
Result 1: Improved internal AMBU functioning between departments, sections and specific positions
Result 2: Improvement the integrated approach mechanism of the Agency with other sector stakeholders related to the water sector
Result 3: Increased levels of awareness of safe, equitable and legally acceptable water resource usage
NIRAS does not guarantee that we will reply to all applicants.
Only the experts meeting the set criteria will be shortlisted and contacted.
– University degree in gender equality/social/economic/political science, or equivalent relevant experience.
– Fluency in written and spoken English.
– Fluency or working knowledge of the Albanian language will be considered as an asset.
– Computer literate.
Professional experience required
General professional experience
– A minimum of 5 years of experience in gender mainstreaming of environmental projects.
Specific professional experience
– A minimum of 3 years of experience working with stakeholder engagement methodologies, i.e. in relation to outreach and communication and experience of designing and carrying out trainings making use of participatory methods.
– A minimum of 2 years of experience in equal opportunities in the workplace.
– Substantial experience of working with environmental and climate change aspects of water resources management would be considered as an asset
– At least one experience of working with EU Gender Acquis.
– Working experience and knowledge of institutional set-up in Western Balkan and/or Albania, including legislation, will be considered as an asset.
95 work days over 3 years
22 January 2021
Deadline For Applications