WaterAid India is registered as Jal Seva Charitable Foundation – a company incorporated under section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956 (Section 8 under the Companies Act, 2013) with CIN U85100DL2010NPL200169, having its registered Office at 2nd Floor, New Block, RK Khanna Tennis
Stadium, DLTA Complex, 1 Africa Avenue, New Delhi – 110 029). The Membership and License Agreement signed between WaterAid India and Jal Seva accords all the necessary rights to Jal Seva to use the WaterAid brand and its name in India. As a result, throughout this TOR, Jal Seva is referred to as WaterAid India.
The Swachh Baharat Mission (SBM) has achieved significant success with wide-scale sanitation coverage in rural India. The second phase of SBM provides an opportunity to strengthen attention to and implementation of certain aspects of sanitation that are critical to its sustainability. These include (but are not limited to) sustained latrine use, appropriateness and safety of toilet technologies, rural faecal sludge management, and grey water management. Jal Seva Charitable Foundation (henceforth referred to as WaterAid India) conducted some studies, consultations and developed technical guidance on these issues. To strengthen implementation, WaterAid India (WAI) now plans to develop district action plans to provide guidance to districts on these issues to ensure safe and sustainable sanitation in rural India.
WaterAid India is looking to engage a consultant to develop the district action plan and requests proposals from individuals who meet the eligibility criteria.
The objectives of the assignment are to develop a District Action Plan for Safe and Sustainable Sanitation that Incorporates attention to critical aspects of rural sanitation, including sustained latrine use, appropriateness and sustainability of toilet technologies, equity and inclusion in sanitation coverage, rural faecal sludge management, and grey water management. The approach will be operational in nature, providing clear guidance to District Administration on:
- How to identify gaps in rural sanitation (related to the above mentioned points)
- How to address these gaps or strengthen implementation of SBM through IEC and appropriate technology solutions
- Community resources who can carry out these tasks at the community and district level and related capacity building needs
- Budgetary resources that can be leveraged at the District level
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, this assignment can be carried out remotely by the consultant. In order to carry out the assignment in a timely manner and with high quality, WAI requests that applicants have access to a functioning laptop and internet connection. The consultant will be expected to conduct phone calls and calls on Microsoft Teams to gather relevant information from the WAI core team and other stakeholders.
To undertake this assignment, the consultant will undertake the following:
- A review of all research, workshop reports and technical guidance that WAI and other organizations have on rural sanitation related to usage, appropriateness of toilet technologies, rural faecal sludge management, and grey water management
- Speak with WAI team (in the Policy Team Programs Team) and with key WAI partners to understand how to position the District Action Plan at the district level
- To develop a District Action Plan and seek feedback from all relevant stakeholders
- To finalize the District Action Plan
- To assist WAI in disseminating the district action plan
The expected deliverables from the consultant are as follows:
- Development and finalizations of a District Action Plan for safe and sustainable sanitation
- Consultations and discussions with various stakeholders to develop the district action plan
- Plan for dissemination of the District Action Plan and support in conducting dissemination meeting (s)
WaterAid’s role in the study will be as outlined:
- Provide access to all studies, consultation reports and technical guidance developed by WAI
- Connect consultant to all relevant WAI stakeholders
- Provide guidance on the development of the District Action Plan
- Review the draft District Action Plan, provide feedback, and finalize the Plan
- Conduct the dissemination
The sole ownership of the outputs from this assignment will be with WaterAid India, and the consultant will be expected to support in this process without having authorship or rights on the knowledge products or other outputs arising out of the assignment. However, WaterAid India will acknowledge the roles and contributions of the consultant in relevant reports and knowledge products.
Qualification / specialised knowledge / Experience/ Competency:
WaterAid India is looking for a competent individual consultant (a single person), with following strengths:
- A strong understanding of Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin at the national, State and district levels
- Experience working on SBM-Gramin at the district level, with demonstrated experience of working on district level plans, implementation guidance, and monitoring of SBM-Gramin at the village, Gram Panchayat level
- Demonstrated experience with supporting district level planning and execution of SBMGramin
- Fluency in English and Hindi
- Strong writing skills
- Experience as a Zilla Swachh Bharat Prerak will be an added advantage
Interested consultants are required to submit their proposals by 14 July 2020, which should necessarily include:
1. Profile/ CV of the applicant that includes among other details, relevant research experience, known languages with proficiency levels, and names of past studies held and reports prepared
- List of sanitation related issues under SBM that the consultant has worked on. For instance, toilet use, toilet technologies.
- List duration of time working at the district level and districts worked in during SBMGramin, first phase (2014-2019).
2. One writing sample (that the applicant has been the sole or primary author on)
3. One sample of a district level sanitation plan or operational framework developed primarily by the applicant
4. A technical proposal for the specific call, including but not limited to the following components:
- Methodology that will be followed for the assignment (can include any novel approach that is not listed in the Terms of Reference)
- Deliverables and timelines for each of the components
- Support required from WaterAid India
5. Per day fees (please specify your per day cost). Please note that the total assignment value will be based on the per day fee and total number of days. The total consultancy fee will be inclusive of tax. 6. 2 references: One reference must be a person whom the applicant has worked with at the district level who can attest to their district level experience on sanitation under SBM-Gramin.