Senior Environmental Manager
Ensure compliance with environmental federal, state, and local regulations as well as organizational policies and procedures applicable to industrial operations. Responsible for recognizing and evaluating environmental conditions present in operations to both identify and mitigate risk associated with those operations. Collaborate cross-functionally vertically and horizontally within the organization to drive awareness and deliver solutions that drive business value while also demonstrating compliance with regulations. Provide direct partnership and hands on support to local plant leadership.
- Manage and Assess environmental programs and initiatives. Consider key metrics to trend and share for decision making opportunities.
- Effectively facilitate learning to a broad range of individuals.
- Keep informed of current and proposed regulations related to the program assigned and provide recommendations for compliance and improvement.
- Serve as a subject matter expert when collaborating with agencies.
- Works with EHS Leadership to revise and/or establish Greif’s environmental management targets and strategy.
- Development and implementation of Greif’s environmental standards at all RIPSNA facilities.
- Contribute to the development of environmental standard operating procedures, specifications and guidelines that drive an environmental conscious and sustainable culture.
- Design standards, processes and systems/tools to drive consistency, efficiency and quality of the environmental system.
- Research new environmental technologies and procedures that could be utilized to improve environmental performance and culture.
- Develops, monitors, and updates environmental tasks in Greif’s Compliance Management System (CMS).
- Lead key teams for alignment with the EHS Management System and provide criteria which demonstrates the organizational commitment to protect the environment and run a sustainable business. These teams serve to empower individual contributors and front-line supervision while informing company leadership.
- Interfaces with Federal, state, and local Federal environmental agencies, as necessary.Provides facility and corporate leadership with guidance on environmental compliance requirements and how to meet those requirements.
- Assess and manage waste initiatives with a key consideration for organizational savings.
- Responsible for assisting in the facilitation of Greif’s environmental auditing program.
- Ensure completion of environmental reporting (air, stormwater, wastewater, EPCRA, and other).
- Participate and lead facility environmental walkthroughs and drive corrective and preventative actions.
- Partners with engineering in identifying and managing environmental risk associated with engineering project implementation.
- Identify continuous improvement activities relative to environmental requirements and champion solutions aligned with site and department metrics and business objectives and strategies.
- Develop and facilitate environmental training and presentations.
- Collects and shares environmental best practices.
- Develop sustainability initiatives, as needed.
- Global waste team leader
- Lead Sustainability employee engagement program
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or related field.
- Certifications Preferred:
- Certified Environmental Professional (CEP)
- 10+ years’ experience in an environmental program management role.
- Experienced with the following environmental topics:
- Title V Permitting
- Large Quantity Hazardous Waste Generator requirements
- Wastewater permitting and compliance demonstration
- Stormwater permitting and pollution prevention plans
- Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure requirements
- Proven ability to conduct comprehensive environmental training to colleagues, management, and external contractors.
- Critically evaluate work environments and processes to recognize environmental risk at a corporate level.
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple activities and initiatives.
- Demonstrated successful communication and negotiation skills in order to manage conflicting and/or multiple demands, including ability to present to various levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to apply analytical skills to identify problems; recognizes symptoms, causes, and alternate solutions and makes timely sound decisions even under risk and uncertainty.
- Bilingual communication, Spanish and English, preferred
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Direct and intimate knowledge of Federal, state, and local environmental rules and regulations.
- Competent in Microsoft Office applications, specifically PowerPoint and Excel.
- Effective communication skills with a competency rooted in the ability communicate to all hierarchy levels.
- Skilled at both delivering and receiving feedback.
- Ability to identify hazards and recognize processes subject to environmental regulation.
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel up to 65% of the time
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and opportunity for growth. Greif, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, race, gender, religion, age, national origin, color, disability, or veteran status. EOE/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran. For more information read Greif’s Equal Opportunity Policy.