Winrock is seeking Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)project in Western Kenya. The project will apply a facilitative approach, working across government, private sector, and civil society, to strengthen availability, accessibility and reliability of WASH services. The project will foster close alliances with county governments and build their capacity for service delivery and regulation, while applying a market-driven lens to support private sector WASH service and equipment providers to deliver services to communities in Western Kenya. The goal of the project is to 1) build a robust sanitation and hygiene market and 2) ensure country-wide sustainable drinking water services to households in Western Kenya. This position is contingent on receipt of donor funding.
• Coordinate with the Chief of Party in management of the technical components, providing programmatic leadership and overseeing the strategic planning of activities in support of the project goals and objectives, including the determination of project priorities and appropriate technical initiatives.
• Ensure results-oriented technical components and high-quality and timely deliverables and reports, focusing on synergistic coordination of all technical areas.
• Advise national counterparts on technical issues and participate in relevant advisory and/or working groups with counterparts, partner institutions, relevant Government of Kenya Ministries and all other local stakeholders.
• Foster strong relationships with county-level institutions, and design and implement localized technical assistance activities to strengthen their capacity to sustainably and inclusively manage and allocate water resources.
• Identify and build alliances with market actors, such as sanitation enterprises, sales agents, and financial institutions, to pilot, test and/or scale models of sustainable WASH service delivery in partnership with county institutions.
• Engage with local civil society organizations to support their advocacy efforts and enhance their engagement in public-private dialogue related to WASH service delivery.
• Oversee technical implementation at the county-level and coordinate county-level teams/offices
• Oversee integration of cross sector principles across technical components
• Coordinate activities with other USAID/Kenya programs working on water issues in Western Kenya and other donors and closely collaborate with key staff on implementing integration activities that leverage program resources and technical expertise.
• Develop and modify as necessary the technical work plans and budget.
• Ensure women and marginalized groups are beneficiaries of the project.
• Ensure technical compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
• Focus on achieving results in all areas on schedule and maintain positive relationships with USAID, Kenyan officials, partners, and implementing partne
- Represent Winrock at meetings and events as need by the COP.
- Support Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Coordinator in implementing Winrock GESI policies for staff and overall project management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of a Masters Degree (or foreign equivalent) in international development, public/business administration, international relations, other social sciences or a similar relevant field.
• At least 10 years of technical leadership experience in issues related to a mix of WASH, sustainable water management, community and alternative livelihood development, governance and capacity building, value chain development.
• Experience managing complex donor funded projects is strongly preferred.
• Establishing and maintaining strong relationships with government ministries and the ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with senior officials.
• At least 5 years’ experience in project management, either as COP, DCOP, or in comparable senior management role.
• Experience working in Kenya or East Africa, especially on WASH.
• Demonstrated competence in negotiation and communication.
• Proven expertise in delivering technical presentations preferred.
• Proven ability to manage diverse and remote workforce. Experience integrating Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) into water security and livelihoods programming.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Fluency in Kiswahili desired.
• Financial management skills and experience.
• Sound knowledge of international donor contracts, financial and accounting regulations and procedures, particularly USAID contract regulations.
• Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions for the project.
• Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft).
*Please note that all CVs must be submitted in English.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.