The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 192 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The primary objective of the position is to support WASH related component in the wake of COVID-19 as part of the COVID-19 Response Unit by working closely with PRCS.
WASH Officer, as a part of the COVID-19 Response unit will support Pakistan Red Crescent (PRCS) in in planning and executing WASH related activities integrated to all ongoing Health and WASH related programs. With the presence in all provinces up to district level, PRCS can support to reach these communities through different information sharing methods.
WASH officer will focus on building community health and WASH capacity by carrying out effective health and hygiene activities and supporting the most vulnerable communities as outlined in the preparedness, containment, and mitigation phase of COVID-19 Response Plan. These interventions will have a significant effect on both outbreak response and overall humanitarian impact of the pandemic without the high risk involved with clinical care. WHO/UNICEF guidance on Water, Sanitation, Hygiene, and waste management for the COVID-19 virus and the Safely managing wastewater and faecal waste will be followed.
WASH Officer is primarily responsible for overseeing the technical engineering direction of the COVID-19 Domestic Response Plan related to WASH operations as part of the COVID-19 Response Unit. Handing over of any other tasks/ assignments not related to the response is the discretion and authority of the line manager.
Overall assignments will include, but not limited to, providing the requisite support to the multiple recover and development projects that require technical support. The core responsibilities will include preparing designs and drawings for hardware schemes, project implementation, networking and liaison with relevant stakeholders, communication, capacity building and mentorship of PRCS staff and volunteers, monitoring and evaluation.
The WASH Officer, reporting to the Operations Manager and Health Manager is part of the COVID-19 Response Unit of the IFRC Pakistan Country Office.
The WASH Officer will spend 75% of his/her time in Islamabad with frequent travel to field sites and 25% to support IFRC country office emergency response long term resilient and development WASH program – based on need. However, due to prevailing security situation in the wake of COVID-19, the travel will be as per security advice. (At this time, there it no travel foreseen for the next few months to come.)
- The incumbent should get well versed with the COVID-19 Domestic Response Plan especially related to Health and WASH component.
- As a part of the COVID-19 Response Unit, get detailed understanding of the unit’s overall objectives and align WASH component as part of the umbrella Response Plan to deliver on key objectives.
- Produce technical design/ drawings, BoQ, feasibility study reports and other technical documents necessary for COVID-19 Domestic Response’ WASH related component.
- Provide required technical support to the Logistic/ procurement department for preparation of tender documents, specification and tender evaluation related to Health and WASH component.
- Maintain accepted Infrastructural standards for the sector and ensure that project staff, implementing partner agencies and recipient communities understand, accept and adhere to these standards.
- Review projects at proposal and different stages of the implementation to ensure national and international construction protocols including appropriate environmental safeguard are maintained.
- Regularly review the physical progress of the construction works and produce progress reports to ensure accuracy and consistency with the overall project/ donor reporting requirement.
- Support and train community facilitators, volunteers and PRCS staff on WASH technical requirements (hardware and software) as required
- Support the assessment of needs and resources required for WASH activities in an evolving situation together with other team members and jointly plan appropriate integrated COVID-19 responses
- Monitor the impact WASH activities and provide regular information for reporting and follow up.
- Ensure WASH interventions are integrated with other sectoral interventions to best meet needs of the targeted population and ensure protection, gender and inclusion elements as well as community engagement and accountability measures are included in WASH planning and implementation in terms of COVID-19.
- University degree in Civil Engineering/water resource engineering/ construction management or relevant discipline
- At least 3-5 years working experiences in Water/Sanitation/ construction management in any reputed national/international organizations
- At least 3 years of experience in the similar/higher position
- Work experience with RC/RC
- Good command in 2D and 3D engineering design softwares like AutoCAD, ETABS, Stadd Pro, Sketchup etc.
- Excellent experience of report writing and concept note/proposal development