NRC is looking for a WaSH Technical Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) for our field office in Dikwa, Borno State in North-East Nigeria. The purpose of the WaSH Technical Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) is to ensure the Implementation and impact of WaSH program activities in Dikwa, Borno State
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Coordination and Camp Management in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The WaSH Technical Assistant reports to the WaSH Officer.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate the Hygiene promotion (HP) and community mobilization (CM) activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- To assist the WASH Officer Manager in all aspects of HP and CM programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- To assist in the identification of communities/IDPs Hygiene promotion needs
- To develop tools and materials for HP and CM
- To assess the HP and CM needs of the communities/IDPs and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts a training session on HP and CM for the local Hygiene Promoters
- Provides technical assistance to the WASH Officer and local counterparts on issues Hygiene information and communication strategies
- Working closely with the Wash Technical Assistant to assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly hygiene promotion reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Ensure that procurement, development, and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Supervise, train and develop community leader and hygiene promotors
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required
- Investigate and facilitate the introduction of new technology, methods, and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
- Performs any other duties as requested by the Wash Officer
- Bachelor of science or Higher National Diploma in health or social works related fields or communication
- Minimum 2 years’ experience from working with hygiene promotion/community mobilization projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with the distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Must have a good knowledge of hygiene promotion in the emergency/recovery context.
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of water, hygiene, sanitation (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Good knowledge of local context and spoken language (Kanuri, Hausa and Fulani) is an adventage
- Handling an insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Communicating with impact and respect All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
We can offer
- Commencement: August 2020
- Duration: 5 Months Renewable
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general direction of Grade level 4 step 1
- Duty station: Dikwa, with frequent travels. Travel outside Dikwa is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before the contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
- Qualified female Camdidates are encourage to apply.