We have an opportunity for a Senior Hydrologist or Hydraulic Modeller to support the delivery of a wide variety of multidisciplinary projects within the Flooding and Water Management team for several key clients covering a range of activities from project feasibility through to detailed design and construction support. You would be leading projects in the areas of flood risk, hydrology, hydraulic modelling, SuDS, water quality, water resources and environmental impact assessment.
Do you want your work to make a difference? Do you enjoy being part of an inclusive team where respect for people is a priority? Then Sweco is the place to be.
Working, as part of a small team within the Water and Asset Management business unit and reporting to the Flooding and Water Management Team Leader you’ll be responsible for:
- Manage the delivery of projects or act as specialist discipline lead within a multidisciplinary team.
- Maintain client contact for project delivery and ensure that project delivery meets the client’s objectives and requirements.
- Ensure that the technical content of all work carried out is correct and completed in accordance within agreed timescales and budgets.
- Ensure that all work is carried out in full compliance with the Company’s Integrated Management Systems (IMS).
- Undertake project delivery tasks, which may include calculations, drawings, sketches and reports etc., as well as site investigations.
- Provide technical guidance, support and training to colleagues and assist, where practicable, in mentoring and development of others.
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues from other disciplines as required.
- Lead or assist with the development of marketing material and the submission of pre-qualification questionnaires and expressions of interest.
- Participate in the preparation/presentation of proposals/bids as required including estimating timescales and costs for proposed works.
- Cultivate new clients and develop services with existing clients, in particular services relating to own areas of technical expertise.
- Recommend / implement improvements to technical policy, processes and design solutions where applicable, and share via the knowledge management channels as appropriate.
To be successful in this role, you will need to possess:
- Experience in hydrology and fluvial modelling is essential, but experience of undertaking environmental impact assessments, water quality, drainage and SUDs design, geomorphological assessments, river engineering and water resource assessment is of benefit.
- Experience of managing projects and acting as technical discipline lead on multi-disciplinary projects.
- The ability to communicate in a fluent and positive manner with other colleagues and clients. Must be able to produce well-structured reports in clear English, and to critically review reports produced by others.
- Maintain good links within the wider hydrology flood risk management community to enhance technical knowledge, and to build and maintain contacts that may provide opportunities for collaboration or business development.
- Experience of GIS (e.g. ArcGIS) and hydraulic hydrology modelling software (e.g. FEH, WINFAP, Flood Modeller TUFLOW, HEC-RAS, Infoworks ICM, HYSIM, Microdrainage) – this is essential as the role will be expected to mentor team members less experienced in this field.
- Competence in the use of standard field equipment is desirable.
Professional Membership and Qualifications
- Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering or similar subject with significant hydrology or hydraulics content
- MSc MEng and or PhD with a focussed on either hydrology, hydraulic, water resources or other applied environmental science subject
- Chartered membership of a professional body such as CIWEM or ICE preferred
- Demonstrate the Sweco values of being a truly committed business partner and always easy to do business with.
- Ability to work on own initiative and seek assistance when required
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure that timescales and budgets are met
- Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions
- Take responsibility for personal development and enable and support the learning of others
- Effective negotiation and persuading skills, able to manage and diffuse challenging situations
- Project a professional image to clients and colleagues
- Able to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships with colleagues, clients and contractors.
- Able to recognise own impact on others and adapt approach where appropriate
- Demonstrate pride in work, through accurate timely delivery
What’s in it for you?
You’ll be working for a top ten engineering firm (recognised by New Civil Engineer). An open and friendly environment where colleagues are encouraged to grow and develop. A meaningful job where you’ll help to develop and shape tomorrow’s communities by being a trusted consultant to our clients. We are always open to a conversation around flexible working.
Closing Date: 24th July 2020
If you believe you have the skill set required, are keen to join a business with genuine opportunities for career progression, then we’d love to hear from you.
More about us …….
Approachable and committed people are the core our business. Serving our clients in challenging projects is part of our daily work. Continuous development of your expertise is not an option but a requirement.
Sweco plans and designs the communities and cities of the future. Our work produces sustainable buildings, efficient infrastructure and access to electricity and clean water. With 16,000 employees in Europe, we offer our clients the right expertise for every situation. We carry out projects in 70 countries annually throughout the world. Sweco is the leading engineering and architecture consultancy in Europe, with sales of approximately SEK 18.7 billion (EUR 1.8 billion). The company is listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
Sweco is committed to achieving equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.