Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Alaska office works to protect Alaska’s public lands and waters, fish and wildlife, air and water quality, and public health from threats posed by oil and gas development, old growth logging, minerals and coal mining, industrial-scale ocean trawling, and other activities. We represent conservation groups, Alaska Native tribal and nonprofit organizations, community groups, fishing organizations, and others in litigation and other advocacy before federal and state agencies and in the courts. With offices in Juneau and Anchorage, we work on issues throughout the state. Our current priorities include protecting America’s Arctic from oil and gas development, roadless area and old growth forest protection on the Tongass National Forest, and opposition to several proposed large-scale mines in western and southeast Alaska and on transboundary rivers in Canada. For more information about the Alaska office, please visit http://earthjustice.org/about/offices/Alaska.
- Litigate cases from beginning to end, performing all aspects of litigation.
- Develop litigation and legal advocacy strategies to support program goals.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Cultivate new and diverse clients, allies, and coalition partners in support of program goals.
- Lead teams and mentor other staff, including associate attorneys, litigation assistants, and law clerks.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice, clients, and partners.
- Help develop and execute effective media and, where appropriate, legislative strategies.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation.
- Attorney with substantial litigation experience and the ability to litigate cases from beginning to end, independently if necessary. We expect that in most cases a candidate meeting this requirement would have at least six years litigation experience, but candidates with fewer years of experience are welcome to apply so long as they meet this functional requirement.
- Admitted to, or willing to apply for admission, to the Alaska bar.
- Excellent litigation skills, including top-notch legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Ability to manage a litigation docket effectively, lead a litigation team, and work collaboratively with colleagues and partner organizations.
- Proficient at working with technical experts.
- Strong skills in communicating litigation and advocacy goals and messages to the media.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with client partners and staff
- Strong and demonstrated initiative, good judgment, and work ethic.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances, and presentations.
- Commitment to serving the public interest, and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- An awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- An ability and commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary depends on experience and location.
Salary range in Anchorage, AK: $125,100+ depending on experience
***Earthjustice will offer a relocation bonus to help cover moving expenses to Alaska as needed. *Relocation is taxed and issued on first pay check.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Staff Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Staff Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/staff-attorney
Please apply online via the Jobvite system. Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover letter that addresses (1) why you are drawn to this position and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum you have written.
- List of three references.
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.