The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada’s leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
The Technoscience Research Unit is a hub for critical social science and humanities research on science, technology, and social justice, with a focus on environment, data, and reproduction. The TRU has a partnership with the Environmental Data and Governance Initiative (EDGI), a United States based network of academics, professionals, volunteers, and non-profits addressing changes to United States federal environmental policy, scientific research, and environmental data. EDGI is a horizontally run research and policy network that conducts its work remotely.
As Research Officer, you will help EDGI maintain our core administrative processes and research protocols, play a part in coordinating our grant writing and management, and creating annual reports. You will have experience working with experts in the area of US environmental data and policy, a background in the administration of horizontal organizations, and experience working remotely with large projects. You will be well organized, exercise good judgement in a variety of situations, strong writing and communication skills, have experience leading effective meetings, and working with protocols of consensus building. You will be expected to support the overall mission of EDGI and its partnership with the TRU.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Scheduling day-to-day project activities
- Tracking and monitoring research activities
- Resolving issues within the scope of the role and escalating problems as required
- Maintaining project records
- Tracking milestones and timelines
- Generating reports
- Directing the activities of casual staff
: Essential Qualifications:
- Master's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum three years recent and relevant experience supporting research for environmental or anti-racism organizations.
- Experience working with environmental data and governance, specifically at the US Federal level.
- Experience performing administrative functions in horizontal, consensus-based organizations.
- Experience working with academic and non-profit sector collaborations.
- Proven experience successfully maintaining and coordinating external relationships with non-profit organizations and fiscal sponsors.
- Proven experience developing and maintaining horizontal organizational protocols and practices, specific to record keeping and documentation.
- Experience developing project schedules including milestones, critical path, timelines, and deliverables.
- Experience developing and maintaining budgets, processing invoices, and performing fiscal reporting with sponsors and non-profit funders.
- Experience onboarding and directing activities of primarily remote teams.
- Experience with grants management and writing annual reports.
- Proficiency in record keeping for meetings and protocols.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom, Google Docs, and Wordpress.
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated judgment, tact, and discretion when dealing with sensitive issues.
- High level of proficiency in verbal and written communication.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Team player
Notes: This is an 8-month term position with the possibility of renewal.
Employee Group: United Steelworkers (USW)
Appointment Type: Grant - Term
Pay Scale Group and Hiring Rate: USW Pay Band 11 -- $65,669 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $83,978. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.